Senior Principal Research Scientist, DMPK
Oncology is a key therapeutic area for AbbVie, with a portfolio consisting of three marketed products — Imbruvica, Venclexta, and Empliciti — and a pipeline containing multiple promising new molecules that are being studied in nearly 200 clinical trials in 19 different types of cancer. AbbVie is expanding its oncology hub on the West Coast, with three sites in the San Francisco Bay Area (Redwood City, South San Francisco, and Sunnyvale) focused on the discovery and development of novel oncology therapies. More than 1,000 AbbVie scientists, clinicians, and product developers with strong entrepreneurial roots work across these three sites. They combine their expertise in immuno-oncology, stem cells, and cell-signaling with their knowledge of bispecific antibodies, antibody-drug conjugates (ADCs), and covalent-inhibitor technologies to discover and develop novel cancer treatments. The Drug Metabolism, Pharmacokinetics & Translational Modeling (DMPK-TM) Department is searching for a senior translational modeler in Redwood City, CA to provide project support in Oncology, enabling biologics progression from discovery to early stages of clinical development. The senior principal scientist will establish innovative translational modeling approaches, such as mechanistic PKPD modeling mechanistic physiological-based PK (PBPK) modeling, and quantitative systems pharmacology (QSP) in Oncology as well as DMPK project support in Discovery and Development enabling compound progression from discovery to early stages of clinical development (biologics, antibody-drug conjugates). Key Responsibilities:
- Provide strategic planning, evaluate and implement innovative and quantitative approaches for translational modeling across Oncology Discovery and Development projects
- Liaise with discovery biology, pharmacology, toxicology, biomarker, BA and clinical scientists to generate data and knowledge supporting the generation and build-up of translational models
- Collaborate and build strong internal network with DMPK-BA, discovery and clinical teams to enable knowledge and data integration for target prioritization, biomarker selection, candidate selection, guidance in (pre)clinical study design, human dose prediction and calculation of therapeutic index
- Mentor junior modelers within the global DMPK-TM organization in translational modeling approaches and best practices
- Build strong external network in the field of modeling & simulation (e.g. academia, consortia) and strive for external collaboration with consortia, academic partners, CROs.
- Ability to clearly communicate and influence on strategies related to DMPK and translational modeling and simulation is required
- Keep up to date with emerging literature and science in modeling approaches
- Bachelors, Masters, or Doctorate (Ph.D.) in PBPK modeling, Pharmaceutical sciences or related field, with at least 18+ (BS), 16+(MS), or 10+(Phd) years of pharmaceutical industry experience.
- Hands-on experience in modeling software like MatLab/Simbiology, Phoenix, WinNonlin, etc. is required
- Must have a strong understanding of DMPK, PKPD modeling and human dose prediction of biologics, and able to give clear recommendations for the design of preclinical and clinical studies.
- Strong understanding of the implication of QSP is desirable.
- Understanding of ADC drug development and ligand binding assays for measuring biologic molecules and/or biomarkers in preclinical study samples is highly desired
- Publication record with PKPD modeling examples is required
- Must have strong communication skills and the ability to influence, negotiate and communicate with both internal and external stake holders
- Highly motivated, self-driven and results-oriented person with excellent communication and presentation skills, capable to work both as team player and project driver. High degree of flexibility in adapting to different projects, persons and excellent networking and relationship-building (both internal and external) skills are required.
- Passion for data analysis, solving technical problems and applying new technologies to further scientific goals.
- Doctorate (Ph.D.) in PKPD modeling, Pharmaceutical sciences or related field, with at least 10+ years of pharmaceutical industry experience.
- Builds strong relationships with peers and cross functionally with partners outside of team to enable higher performance.
- Learns fast, grasps the "essence" and can change course quickly where indicated.
- Raises the bar and is never satisfied with the status quo.
- Creates a learning environment, open to suggestions and experimentation for improvement.
- Embraces the ideas of others, nurtures innovation and manages innovation to reality