Senior Scientist, Proteasome function in Neurodegeneration
AbbVie established the Foundational Neuroscience Center (FNC) in Cambridge, MA to investigate the fundamental biological mechanisms underlying neurodegenerative disorders such as Alzheimer's disease. AbbVie scientists are using this knowledge and state-of-the-art technology to develop transformative therapeutics to slow disease progression.
The Proteostasis therapeutic area is pursuing targets that modulate the cellular protein quality control mechanisms that regulate protein misfolding and aggregation in Alzheimer's disease. We are seeking a highly motivated applicant with prior expertise in developing drugs that modulate proteostasis in neurodegenerative diseases. The senior scientist will be responsible for building assays and leading multi-disciplinary teams to advance novel compounds to the clinic.
- Contribute technical and scientific expertise based on a thorough understanding of proteostasis biology in the context of neurodegenerative disease
- Generate rational hypotheses; plan and execute laboratory experiments with proper controls; collect robust data sets and apply statistical analyses; interpret and present data before project teams
- Lead multi-disciplinary teams of scientists to advance drug discovery programs to IND
- Formalize scientific contributions by maintaining detailed electronic laboratory notebooks, writing SOPs, presenting at scientific meetings and publishing in high-impact journals
- Maintain a healthy, safe, and inclusive work environment
- BS, MS or PhD in neuroscience or closely related field with 10-12+ (BS), 8-10+ (MS) or 0-4+ (PhD) years of industry experience leading drug discovery programs (high throughput screening, hit-to-lead, lead-optimization)
- Specific expertise in proteostasis pathways and the biology of neurodegeneration
- Proficiency with standard cell and molecular biology, biochemistry, enzymology and neuroscience techniques including iPSC-derived neuron culture, gene transfer methods, microscopy and high-content imaging, protein detection & quantification (such as ELISA, MSD, plate readers), and enzyme kinetic assays
- Proven ability to design, execute and interpret critical experiments independently and to advance scientific understanding
- Strong record of scientific accomplishment as demonstrated by publication in high-impact journals
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong interpersonal abilities with a penchant to work productively and creatively in a multi-disciplinary environment
- Strong organizational skills that enable multitasking and working within timelines