Metrology Standards Lab Manager
The lab manager will provide leadership, guidance and management of the AbbVie Global Standards Lab. Manage budget, performance excellence and staff development. Develop effective partnerships with key customers In Lake County and global Abbvie locations. Responsible for the daily operation of our corporate Standards Lab. Supervise and direct highly technical personnel that perform scheduled/unscheduled calibration services. Provide leadership in advanced level troubleshooting service to instruments and systems specific to corporate primary calibration standards. Establish and maintain standards lab practices, procedures, and methods. Provide technical training and consulting to key customers/divisions worldwide. Must have the ability to analyze and solve complex calibration problems using advanced mathematical and engineering principles. Ability to maintain and promote positive culture that is customer service focused.
Key Responsibilities Include:
Key Responsibilities Include:
- Provide guidance to lab personnel in the execution of highly technical calibrations. The manager will provide technical expertise for development of new calibration methods, manage time lines, manage resources, and will provide technical support to all sites as necessary.
- The Lab Manager establishes goals that are consistent with the department's performance requirements, implements plans and strategies to reach theses goals, assigns duties and responsibilities and control subordinates performance to meet the goals and commitments.
- The Lab Manager position leads the team that handles complex and highly technical calibration projects. These projects can impact a significant portion of the business as related to calibration services. The standards team provides a high level of technical expertise required for support of R&D and manufacturing needs.
- The Lab Manager ensures compliance with company, local, state, federal, ISO and other applicable codes and laws relevant to the performance of a Primary Calibration Standards Lab.
- The Lab Manager position works directly with multiple groups and stakeholders towards the development of cost effective, robust and compliant calibration processes and ensuring that customer operations and customer support remain uninterrupted.
- The Lab Manager position in the Metrology organization aligns and maintains the Standards lab calibration practices with industry best practices. Is responsible for management of a technical team of up to 8 highly skilled technicians. The position requires interaction with engineering, key stakeholders and customers from various divisions and sites.
- The Lab Manager may be required to participate and support regulatory audits as related to the Standards Lab.
- A Degree in Engineering, science, or closely related discipline is desired or 10+ years equivalent technical experience in calibration and/or past experience running a calibration program.
- Has a technical background in health care, nutritional products, laboratory diagnostics, medical devices, pharmaceutical, or similar industries (preferred).
- Has demonstrated competency within the calibration discipline.
- Possesses a strong technical knowledge and application of concepts, practices, and procedures. Works on problems of complex scope where analysis of situations or data involves multiple competing factors.
- Strong knowledge and experience with financial planning and project management
- Exercises judgment within defined procedures and practices to determine appropriate action.
- Interacts well with diverse groups within engineering and maintains strong working relationships with internal and external collaborators and stakeholders.
- Listens to and understands others' points of view and articulates tactfully and respectfully one's own perspective orally, in writing, and in presentations.
- Works well with others in a collaborative, fast-paced goal-driven environment.
- Possesses interpersonal skills to negotiate and reconcile differences.