Sales Director - US Commercial Oncology - Solid Tumor
AbbVie is striving to outsmart cancer by working with scientists, physicians, industry peers, patient advocacy groups and, most importantly, patients to discover, develop, and provide new therapies that will have a remarkable impact on the lives of people around the world affected by cancer. Our goal is to provide medicines that make a transformational improvement in cancer treatment and outcomes for cancer patients. By exploring and investing in new pathways, technologies, and approaches, AbbVie is breaking ground in some of the most widespread and difficult-to-treat cancers. We are also exploring solutions to help patients obtain access to our cancer medicines. With the acquisition of Pharmacyclics in 2015 and Stemcentrx in 2016, and through several collaborations, AbbVie's oncology portfolio consists of marketed medicines and a pipeline containing multiple new molecules being actively evaluated worldwide in 200+ clinical trials in 20+ different cancers and tumor types. For more information about AbbVie Oncology, please visit https://abbvieoncology.com. Given the Company's deep commitment to Oncology and in anticipation of several upcoming product launches, the AbbVie U.S. Commercial Oncology organization is seeking to hire the top Sales Leadership role of Solid Tumor Sales Director reporting to the U.S. Commercial Oncology Solid Tumor General Manager. The Sales Director will have responsibility for building AbbVie's first U.S. Commercial Solid Tumor sales force. This includes, but not limited to, designing a structure fit for purpose for both our current and future needs as well as all the associated hiring, onboarding, and development of sales colleagues. This role will have sales managers who lead other sales managers as direct reports. Primary responsibilities for this leadership position will include but not limited to:
- Partner with Oncology leadership and associated stakeholders (e.g., Hematology Sales Director, Sales Force Effectiveness, Sales Training, Marketing, HR, etc.) to design an optimal Solid Tumor sales force.
- Hire, train, and continually develop the Solid Tumor sales force with an All for One AbbVie and Oncology Franchise mindset.
- Set a compelling leadership tone and direction and co-establish vision for business.
- Co-develop both short-term and longer-term plans to anticipate market trends and stakeholders' needs.
- Drive all aspects of financial and business metrics, including not only revenue but also resource targets.
- Leverage relationships, network, and expertise to achieve business objectives.
- Provide “Clear & Courageous” and game-changing thought-leadership to grow business.
- Create space and strategies for sales team to provide both incremental and exponential innovation.
- Manage consultants/agencies for key projects.
- Build current and future competitive advantage by understanding & addressing key customers' needs, and by demonstrating deep understanding of competitors' strategies.
- Develop internal and external customer relationships that successfully drive business objectives.
- Ensure timely guidance to senior management regarding the strategy and key brands.
- Establish a productive work environment by creating trust and respect within the franchise.
- Balance business priorities and resources, adapting to the external and internal environment.
- Position requires excellent communication and presentation skills and strong analytical skills to understand scientific and financial data, recognize key issues, establish priorities, and prepare high-level presentations for senior executive staff review.
- Supervisory/Management Responsibilities - will have direct responsibility for leading leaders of leaders.
Key Qualifications and Experiences:
- 10+ years of sales experience in the pharmaceutical/biotech industry in progressive commercial leadership roles.
- Oncology experience required, preferably 5+ years of operational experience at a minimum including multiple launch experience.
- At least 2-4 years of leading sales leaders of leaders within a pharma/biotech organization.
- Bachelor's degree required, advanced degree preferred.
- U.S. Commercial experience required with strong matrix skills and cultural sensitivity to work effectively across AbbVie Inc.
- Demonstrated ability to influence and manage a complex set of internal and external stakeholders.
- Strong executive presence and leadership skills.
- Capable of attracting and developing world-class commercial talent.
- Strong communication and negotiating skills required.
- Builds strong relationships with peers and cross functionally with partners outside of team to enable higher performance.
- Learns fast, grasps the “essence”, and can change course quickly when necessary.
- Raises the bar and is never satisfied with the status quo.
- Creates a learning environment, open to suggestions, and experimentation for improvement.
- Embraces the ideas of others, nurtures innovation, and manages innovation to reality.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled