Scientist II / Senior Scientist I, Cancer Biology (Gastric / Colorectal)
Oncology is a key therapeutic area for AbbVie, with a portfolio consisting of three marketed products — Imbruvica, Venclexta, and Empliciti — and a pipeline containing multiple promising new molecules that are being studied in nearly 200 clinical trials in 19 different types of cancer.
AbbVie is expanding its oncology hub on the West Coast, with three sites in the San Francisco Bay Area (Redwood City, South San Francisco, and Sunnyvale) focused on the discovery and development of novel oncology therapies. More than 1,000 AbbVie scientists, clinicians, and product developers with strong entrepreneurial roots work across these three sites. They combine their expertise in immuno-oncology, stem cells, and cell-signaling with their knowledge of bispecific antibodies, antibody-drug conjugates (ADCs), and covalent-inhibitor technologies to discover and develop novel cancer treatments.
This position is based at Stemcentrx, AbbVie's South San Francisco, CA location.
Scientist II / Senior Scientist I - Cancer Biology (Colorectal / Gastric Cancer): As part of a talented and multi-disciplinary team advancing exciting new approaches to drug discovery and development, AbbVie Stemcentrx is looking for a highly motivated scientist with experience in colorectal and gastric cancer. This role is based at Stemcentrx and will contribute to a world-class team in identifying novel cancer stem cell targets and developing targeted antibody drug conjugate (ADC) therapies in oncology. The candidate will bring extensive knowledge of tumor and/or stem cell biology, as well as expertise in cell based assays and in vivo tumor models to an existing team of highly skilled scientists. The application will span areas of cancer biology and pre- clinical development for various AbbVie Stemcentrx pipeline research and development activities. The ideal candidate will be able to balance a hypothesis driven basic research with goal oriented development activities of novel cancer therapeutics.
- Refine cancer stem cell-defining populations and mechanisms in colorectal and gastric cancer
- Develop and characterize clinically relevant in vivo models of colorectal and gastric cancer
- Support the validation of development candidates in particular by coordinating and characterizing in vivo efficacy studies
- Design and implement in vitro assays to explore biology of prospective targets
- Identify and incorporate novel ideas to better characterize antibody targets, payloads, and ADCs
- Draft IND, patent documents, and manuscripts for publication and occasionally present at scientific conferences and symposiums.
- Ph.D. or MS with 5 years of experience.
- Strong background in solid tumor cancer biology or normal stem cell biology, preferably colorectal and gastric cancer
- Highly motivated, goal-oriented and independent scientist with proven technical expertise in colorectal cancer and execution of novel assays
- Demonstrated ability to independently design, execute and interpret experiments
- Prior experience with flow cytometry and cell sorting highly desired. Additionally, experience analyzing large gene expression datasets is sought after.
- Expertise in primary tissue processing and in vitro cell culture methodologies
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and a proven track record of working effectively in a dynamic, collaborative, team-oriented setting
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled