2018 Experiential Intern (Undergraduate) - Discovery Research
AbbVie Redwood City (ABR) is AbbVie's Center of Innovation in Oncology Research and Development, located in Redwood City, CA.
Join ABR for our 2018 Experiential Summer Intern Program! Gain hands-on industry experience, work with a great team, and meet other motivated, science-oriented college students like yourself.
The program runs for 12 weeks and has two sessions, one starting at the end of May (semester system) or early June (quarter system). Due to the condensed duration of the program, we require all Interns to be available for the entire 12-week period in one or the other session. This is a paid internship. Summer Interns will participate in activities to learn pharmaceutical development and will present their work at a site-wide Poster Session at the end of their assignment.
The ABR Oncology site focuses on Immuno‐Oncology (I‐O), which is the study of the activation of the immune system to recognize and eliminate cancer cells.
We are hiring for multiple Summer Intern positions that span several groups and require candidates with the following elements:
- Eager to learn different aspects of the drug development business, and how it applies to making novel cancer drugs
- Prepared to work in a well-supported environment, with access to the tools, technologies and expertise necessary for success.
- Great interpersonal and communication skills
Group: Discovery Research
- Characterize cells and antibodies for Immuno-Oncology therapy
- Examine the regulation of immune cell activation
- Use flow cytometry to uncover novel mechanisms by which these pathways are regulated
- Demonstrate skills in cell culture (highly desirable, but not necessary)
- Demonstrate excellent qualitative and quantitative analytical skills
- Be eager to learn different analytic techniques in the lab
- Learn in vitro assay techniques including cell-based immunological assays to monitor cell activation and maturation and isolation/generation of human immune cell subtypes
- Characterize panels of antibodies that bind to I-O targets
- Learn research skills in protein engineering and protein characterization
- Develop and apply analytical methods for clinical samples
- Enrolled in an undergraduate level program at an accredited university
- Completed at least 1 year of undergraduate level studies prior to internship experience
- Strong academic performance. Minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 (4.0 Scale)
- Returning to university for at least 1 semester/quarter post-internship
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled