2018 Experiential Intern (Undergraduate) - CMC, Pharmaceutical Development
Partnering for Future Success
AbbVie (NYSE:ABBV) is a global, research‐based biopharmaceutical company employing approximately 28,000 people worldwide and markets medicines in more than 170 countries.
AbbVie Redwood City (ABR) is AbbVie's Center of Innovation in Oncology Research and Development, located in Redwood City, CA.
Join ABR for our 2018 Experiential Summer Intern Program! Gain hands-on industry experience, work with a great team, and meet other motivated, science-oriented college students like yourself.
The program runs for 12 weeks and has two sessions, one starting at the end of May (semester system) or early June (quarter system). Due to the condensed duration of the program, we require all Interns to be available for the entire 12-week period in one or the other session. This is a paid internship. Summer Interns will participate in activities to learn pharmaceutical development and will present their work at a site-wide Poster Session at the end of their assignment.
The ABR Oncology site focuses on Immuno‐Oncology (I‐O), which is the study of the activation of the immune system to recognize and eliminate cancer cells.
We are hiring for multiple Summer Intern positions that span several groups and require candidates with the following elements:
- Eager to learn different aspects of the drug development business, and how it applies to making novel cancer drugs
- Prepared to work in a well-supported environment, with access to the tools, technologies and expertise necessary for success.
- Great interpersonal and communication skills
Group: Pharmaceutical Development
The Pharmaceutical Development group exists within the CMC (Chemistry, Manufacturing, and Controls) department. In this department you will gain real-world biopharmaceutical industry experience and exposure to many related areas of drug development, such as cell line/culture development, protein purification, and analytical sciences.
This summer intern will be responsible for a project that involves detailed biophysical and chemical characterization of anti-cancer antibody drug products to support the formulation development and stability assessment.
The summer intern will learn valuable state-of-the-art skills in protein formulation development and gain hands-on experience with many analytical laboratory methods such as HPLC, Differential Scanning Fluorimetry, Variable Pathlength Spectrophotometer, and modern Particle Analysis techniques.
- Pursuing a degree in chemistry, biochemistry, chemical engineering, or a related science degree
- Basic understanding of protein structure and function
- Basic chemistry/biochemistry lab experience is highly desirable, but not necessary
- Strong qualitative and quantitative analytical skills, eagerness to learn new laboratory techniques, and strong verbal and written communication skills
- Enrolled in an undergraduate level program at an accredited university
- Completed at least 1 year of undergraduate level studies prior to internship experience
- Strong academic performance. Minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 (4.0 Scale)
- Returning to university for at least 1 semester/quarter post-internship
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled