Manager, Immunology, U.S. Public Affairs
The manager is responsible for support and execution of external communications programs that protect and enhance AbbVie's reputation in the United States and promote its Immunology portfolio. The manager must be able to think strategically, execute flawlessly and clearly communicate plans to internal and external stakeholders across mid-to-high levels of management. The role is also responsible for management of public relations firms and third-party vendors, public affairs budgets, and supporting internal and operational team needs.
- Manages tactical program elements and ensures deliverables are well executed, including launch and brand planning, social media programs, content development, external message development and issues identification and management.
- Represents U.S. Public Affairs on Integrated Brand Teams and collaborates with cross-functional team members to drive business goals, including commercial, government affairs, investor relations, legal, finance, marketing, regulatory, medical affairs, and clinical development.
- Ensures alignment and collaborates with Global Public Affairs and Corporate Communications, as needed.
- Demonstrates strong understanding of U.S. media environment as it relates to industry, and has media relations experience and skills to ensure effective engagement with reporters.
- Is able to manage issues that impact the business overall by proactively anticipating and mitigating reputational risk to AbbVie and immunology brands, and works with leadership to influence business decision making on key business issues.
- Leads internal communication needs on behalf of Immunology Public Affairs team, including planning calendar updates, newsletter content across CRBC organizations, and social editorial calendar updates, as needed.
- Aligns with employee and leadership communications to deliver on employee communications initiatives associated to areas of focus.
- Contributes to managing and shaping department policies and procedures.
- Ensures programs fall within budget parameters and all administrative paperwork is completed in appropriate manner (invoice logging, purchase orders, statements of work, etc.)
- Ensures compliance by managing review process for external communications materials (press releases, statements, response documents, fact sheets, etc.). Keep various parties apprised of status, timelines and directional shifts to ensure smooth review process and to meet corporate deadlines.
- Bachelor's Degree in Public Relations, Communications, Journalism or Equivalent.
- A minimum of seven years of relevant experience and proven track record of success in developing and executing corporate and/or product communications and/or public relations, including media relations and social media/digital work.
- Experience in the healthcare/bio-pharma industry a plus. Strong business acumen with the ability to anticipate company and team needs, including strong understanding of U.S. healthcare system functioning and intricacies.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with strong visual capability along with knowledge of emerging communications trends and technologies.
- Experience in social media, digital and content marketing, and in innovative approaches to communications is a plus.
- Builds strong relationships with peers and cross-functional partners within and outside of team to enable higher performance; is clear and courageous and can manage difficult conversations though direct and constructive dialogue
- Learns fast, grasps the 'essence' and can change course quickly where indicated; raises the bar and is never satisfied with the status quo; creates a learning environment, open to suggestions and experimentation for improvement
- Detail-oriented, proactive, efficient, creative, well-organized, enthusiastic, able to make decisions with less-than-perfect information, able to stick to processes, results-oriented, outgoing and able to establish positive relationships, enjoys complex challenges, flexible, takes initiative and spurs others.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled