The Engineer (Process) is responsible for the process manufacturing equipment readiness, including related automation. Major focus is on Upstream, Downstream, Flex train and/or Process Science equipment and operations. Will support equipment adaptation as customer and/or other products enter the facility for the first time. Works with and supports interdisciplinary project teams by means of technical competence. Manages simple facility and equipment related projects and acts as Engineering technical lead on production/operational equipment related projects.
As an employee of Boehringer Ingelheim, you will actively contribute to the discovery, development and delivery of our products to our patients and customers. Our global presence provides opportunity for all employees to collaborate internationally, offering visibility and opportunity to directly contribute to the companies' success. We realize that our strength and competitive advantage lie with our people. We support our employees in a number of ways to foster a healthy working environment, meaningful work, diversity and inclusion, mobility, networking and work-life balance. Our competitive compensation and benefit programs reflect Boehringer Ingelheim's high regard for our employees
Duties & Responsibilities:
- CapEx planning and investments:
- Plans the costs, time and quality to ensure that their corresponding systems are ready for operation and to also sustain and improve the systems.
- Can serve as project lead for small projects.
- May manage contractors for the execution of activities associated with their projects.
- Technical responsibility of the Manufacturing areas:
- Responsible for the compliant and reliable availability and flexibility of their system.
- Uses expert knowledge about the processes, automation and equipment-specific technology to participate in
troubleshooting as the Engineering technical lead.
- Optimization and compliance:
- Responsible for technical optimization of the field of care.
- Ensures that the Process/Manufacturing equipment, machinery, documentation and technical support meets the compliance, quality and EHS standards.
- Contributes to, supports BPE/MPE activities to ensure a continuous optimization process.
- GEN (Global Engineering Network) and standardization:
- Supports implementation and improvement of best practice of technical standards, procedures.
- Acts as a member of Global Engineering Biopharmaceuticals and of global Engineering Boehringer Ingelheim.
- May participate in peer to peer reviews.
- Supports the curriculum and works with operations staff as required to ensure production commences at the desired rate.
- Ability to work with and/or lead vendors for the purposes of assessments and certifications.
- Very strong demands on productivity and availability of manufacturing and process development plants, because of strong market-urgency and high capacity utilization by technical very complex systems with a high risk on process stability.
- Interfaces with Biotech Operation Biberach and Vienna, Process Science global, Supply chain and asset, Business Process Excellence, Project Management, Quality and Compliance, EHS, Global engineering, Finance and Controlling, Global Infrastructure/ Infrastructure Germany, Global Purchasing, Human resources
- External customers, organizations and suppliers
- Understands how the Manufacturing facility and equipment operation and status.
- Maintains technical knowledge of related equipment and associated unit operations.
- Developed interpersonal skills with the ability to establish functional relationships with diverse personalities both within and outside the company.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills
- Engineering skills to support or make improvements.
- Organized and capable of managing tasks on multiple, concurrent projects.
- Good project-management skills, able to manage outside contractors during project execution.
- Knowledge of International and Local regulations concerning Clean Rooms and HEPA Certification.
- Responsible for small dollar (e.g. under $100K) investment projects budget of biopharma.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering and/or Pharmaceutics from a four (4) year accredited institution required
- Three to five (3-5) years of experience in related field required
- If required, incumbent contributes BI's knowledge to national and international standard committees (VDI, ISO, ISPE...) to represent biopharmaceutical interests and progress.
- May be required to work with vendor(s) and or contractors at site
Desired Skills, Experience and Abilities:
- Good knowledge and skills in biopharmaceutical and Process Engineering.
- Experience working on technical projects with an interdisciplinary project team from planning to realization and start up highly desired
- Experience leading projects within a biopharmaceutical business highly desired
- Must be legally authorized to work in the United States without restriction.
- Must be willing to take a drug test and post-offer physical (if required)
- Must be 18 years of age or older
Boehringer Ingelheim is one of the world’s top 20 pharmaceutical companies and operates globally with approximately 50,000 employees. Since our founding in 1885, the company has remained family-owned and today we are committed to creating value through innovation in three business areas including human pharmaceuticals, animal health and biopharmaceutical contract manufacturing. Since we are privately held, we have the ability to take an innovative, longterm view. Our focus is on scientific discoveries and the introduction of truly novel medicines that improve lives and provide valuable services and support to patients and their families. Employees are challenged to take initiative and achieve outstanding results. Ultimately, our culture and drive allows us to maintain one of the highest levels of excellence in our industry. We are also deeply committed to our communities and our employees create and engage in programs that strengthen the neighbourhoods where we live and work. Boehringer Ingelheim, including Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals, Inc., Boehringer Ingelheim USA, Boehringer Ingelheim Animal Health USA, Inc., Merial Barceloneta, LLC and Boehringer Ingelheim Fremont, Inc. is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to a culturally diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race; color; creed; religion; national origin; age; ancestry; nationality; marital, domestic partnership or civil union status; sex,
gender identity or expression; affectional or sexual orientation; disability; veteran or military status, including protected veteran status; domestic violence victim status; atypical cellular or blood trait; genetic information (including the refusal to submit to genetic testing) or any other characteristic protected by law.
Boehringer Ingelheim is firmly committed to ensuring a safe, healthy, productive and efficient work environment for our employees, partners and customers. As part of that commitment, Boehringer Ingelheim conducts pre-employment verifications and drug screenings.