Sr. Automation Engineer/Specialist - OSI PI Historian, Computer Systems, Servers, Networking
The Senior Automation/Computerized Systems Engineer will join a Team of very talented and skilled Engineers working to provide flexible, innovative, cost effective, compliant and quality-focused Automation systems solutions for the manufacturing of Biopharmaceuticals. As part of the Engineering and Technology Team you will be the subject matter expert focused in the design, implementation, project management and support of OSI PI Historian, Reports, and Computer Systems (Servers, Ethernet, Databases) supporting the automated equipment and systems.
As an employee of Boehringer Ingelheim, you will actively contribute to the discovery, development and delivery of our products to our patients and customers. Our global presence provides opportunity for all employees to collaborate internationally, offering visibility and opportunity to directly contribute to the companies' success. We realize that our strength and competitive advantage lie with our people. We support our employees in a number of ways to foster a healthy working environment, meaningful work, diversity and inclusion, mobility, networking and work-life balance. Our competitive compensation and benefit programs reflect Boehringer Ingelheim's high regard for our employees.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Automation Projects and CapEx:
- Developing, planning and implementing automation based projects and solutions in collaboration with cross-functional teams, including determination and delivery on cost, time and quality to ensure the sustained production, successful product launches and customer satisfaction. These projects may be new facilities and/or retrofit of existing.
- Supports the validation of automation systems with QA Validation.
- Provides leadership and/or technical support to projects in support of the BI Capital Plan.
- Provides advanced technical expertise:
- Provide advanced automation technical knowledge for troubleshooting, investigations and training.
- Provide advanced automation system hardware support including installation.
- Provide advanced automation system design for data integrity, stability and interface between different systems
- Ensuring effective maintenance and availability of automation equipment
- Implementing automation changes to existing control system hardware and software, supervising hardware and software modifications done by outside vendors, and development of specifications and testing documentation.
- Optimization and compliance:
- Responsible for technical optimization of the automation systems
- Creation, modification, and maintenance of automation system and documentation, including automation specification documents and SOPs, in a compliant state
- Contributes to, support, and leads BPE/MPE activities to ensure a continuous optimization process
- Global Engineering Network for automation and standardization:
- Supports definition and implementation of best practice of automation technical standards and procedures.
- Participates in peer reviews
- At least nine (9) years of work experience.
- Four (4) years experience leading projects.
- Minimum of a Bachelors’ Degree in Science or Engineering, preferably Computer Science, Chemical, Mechanical, or Electrical Engineering, from an accredited university or college.
- Working knowledge of the process equipment and instrumentation typically applied to biopharmaceutical processes
- Detail-oriented, with excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong technical writing and presentation skills.
- Ability to be flexible and manage change.
- Ability to communicate and collaborate with technical and management staff.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively.
- Strong analytical skills to identify potential improvement opportunities.
- Good knowledge of economic relations and business needs.
- Ability to lead multidisciplinary project groups and deal with customers and suppliers.
- Good understanding of legal and regulatory aspects within biopharmaceutical business and EHS.
Desired Experience, Skills and Abilities:
- Eight plus (8+) years of relevant automation, engineering, project management or operations experience within a cGMP environment, with at least 5 years of recent automation experience.
- Experience with PLCs, and DCS control systems. Experience in at least some of the following technologies is highly desirable: Emerson DeltaV, Siemens Apogee, Allen-Bradley SLC, Panel View, RSView32, Intellution and iFix.
- Experience with operating systems (Windows Server 2003), AutoCAD, MS Project, Visio, and MS office Suite.
- Good knowledge and skills in engineering of Automation for HVAC/ Clean Media / Process Utility / Monitoring Building Management Systems including system design / Bioreactors/ Centrifuge/ TFF/ Chromatography
- Must be legally authorized to work in the United States without restriction.
- Must be willing to take a drug test and post-offer physical (if required)
- Must be 18 years of age or older
Boehringer Ingelheim is one of the world’s top 20 pharmaceutical companies and operates globally with approximately 50,000 employees. Since our founding in 1885, the company has remained family-owned and today we are committed to creating value through innovation in three business areas including human pharmaceuticals, animal health and biopharmaceutical contract manufacturing. Since we are privately held, we have the ability to take an innovative, longterm view. Our focus is on scientific discoveries and the introduction of truly novel medicines that improve lives and provide valuable services and support to patients and their families. Employees are challenged to take initiative and achieve outstanding results. Ultimately, our culture and drive allows us to maintain one of the highest levels of excellence in our industry. We are also deeply committed to our communities and our employees create and engage in programs that strengthen the neighborhoods where we live and work. Boehringer Ingelheim, including Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals, Inc., Boehringer Ingelheim USA, Boehringer Ingelheim Animal Health USA, Inc., Merial Barceloneta, LLC and Boehringer Ingelheim Fremont, Inc. is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to a culturally diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race; color; creed; religion; national origin; age; ancestry; nationality; marital, domestic partnership or civil union status; sex, gender identity or expression; affectional or sexual orientation; disability; veteran or military status, including protected veteran status; domestic violence victim status; atypical cellular or blood trait; genetic information (including the refusal to
submit to genetic testing) or any other characteristic protected by law.
Boehringer Ingelheim is firmly committed to ensuring a safe, healthy, productive and efficient work environment for our employees, partners and customers. As part of that commitment, Boehringer Ingelheim conducts pre-employment verifications and drug screenings.