Senior Automation Engineer - Filling, Assembly, Packaging, PLCs
The Senior Automation Engineer will join a Team of very talented and skilled Engineers working to provide flexible, innovative, cost effective, compliant and quality-focused Automation systems solutions for the manufacturing of Biopharmaceuticals. As part of the Engineering and Technology Team you will be the subject matter expert focused in the design, implementation, project management and support of Filling, Assembly, Packaging, and other PLC and SCADA based automated equipment and systems.
As an employee of Boehringer Ingelheim, you will actively contribute to the discovery, development and delivery of our products to our patients and customers. Our global presence provides opportunity for all employees to collaborate internationally, offering visibility and opportunity to directly contribute to the companies' success. We realize that our strength and competitive advantage lie with our people. We support our employees in a number of ways to foster a healthy working environment, meaningful work, diversity and inclusion, mobility, networking and work-life balance. Our competitive compensation and benefit programs reflect Boehringer Ingelheim's high regard for our employees.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Automation Projects and CapEx:
- Developing, planning and implementing automation based projects and solutions in collaboration with cross-functional teams, including determination and delivery on cost, time and quality to ensure the sustained production, successful product launches and customer satisfaction. These projects may be new facilities and/or retrofit of existing.
- Supports the validation of automation systems with QA Validation.
- Provides leadership and/or technical support to projects in support of the BI Capital Plan.
- Provides advanced technical expertise:
- Provide advanced automation technical knowledge for troubleshooting, investigations and training.
- Provide advanced automation system hardware support including installation.
- Provide advanced automation system design for data integrity, stability and interface between different systems
- Ensuring effective maintenance and availability of automation equipment
- Implementing automation changes to existing control system hardware and software, supervising hardware and software modifications done by outside vendors, and development of specifications and testing documentation.
- Optimization and compliance:
- Responsible for technical optimization of the automation systems
- Creation, modification, and maintenance of automation system and documentation, including automation specification documents and SOPs, in a compliant state
- Contributes to, support, and leads BPE/MPE activities to ensure a continuous optimization process
- Global Engineering Network for automation and standardization:
- Supports definition and implementation of best practice of automation technical standards and procedures.
- Participates in peer reviews
- At least nine ((9) to thirteen (13) years of work experience.
- Four (4) to six (6) years’ experience leading projects.
- Minimum of a Bachelors’ Degree in Science or Engineering, preferably computer Science, Chemical, Mechanical, or Electrical Engineering, from an accredited university or college.
- Working knowledge of the process equipment and instrumentation typically applied to biopharmaceutical processes
- Detail-oriented, with excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong technical writing and presentation skills.
- Ability to be flexible and manage change.
- Ability to communicate and collaborate with technical and management staff.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively.
- Strong analytical skills to identify potential improvement opportunities.
- Good knowledge of economic relations and business needs.
- Ability to lead multidisciplinary project groups and deal with customers and suppliers.
- Good understanding of legal and regulatory aspects within biopharmaceutical business and EHS.
Desired Experience, Skills and Abilities:
- Eight plus (8+) years of relevant automation, engineering, project management or operations experience within a cGMP environment, with at least 5 years of recent automation experience.
- Experience with PLCs, and DCS control systems. Experience in at least some of the following technologies is highly desirable: Emerson DeltaV, Siemens Apogee, Allen-Bradley SLC, Panel View, RSView32, Intellution and iFix.
- Experience with operating systems (Windows Server 2003), AutoCAD, MS project, Visio, and MS office Suite.
- Good knowledge and skills in engineering of Automation for HVAC/ Clean Media / Process Utility / Monitoring Building Management Systems including system design / Bioreactors/ Centrifuge/ TFF/ Chromatography
Must be legally authorized to work in the United States without restriction.
Must be willing to take a drug test and post-offer physical (if required)
Must be 18 years of age or older
Boehringer Ingelheim is a different kind of pharmaceutical company, a privately held company with the ability to have an innovative and long term view. Our focus is on scientific discoveries that improve patients' lives and we equate success as a pharmaceutical company with the steady introduction of truly innovative medicines. Boehringer Ingelheim is the largest privately held pharmaceutical corporation in the world and ranks among the world's 20 leading pharmaceutical corporations. At Boehringer Ingelheim, we are committed to delivering value through innovation. Employees are challenged to take initiative and achieve outstanding results. Ultimately, our culture and drive allows us to maintain one of the highest levels of excellence in our industry. Boehringer Ingelheim, including Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals, Inc., Boehringer Ingelheim USA, Boehringer Ingelheim Animal Health USA, Inc. and Boehringer Ingelheim Fremont, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer - Minority/Female/Protected Veteran/Person with a Disability Boehringer Ingelheim is firmly committed to ensuring a safe, healthy, productive and efficient work environment for our employees, partners and customers. As part of that commitment, Boehringer Ingelheim conducts pre-employment verifications and drug screenings.