Principal Scientist, Bioinformatics
General Position Summary/Purpose:
· Contribute to multiple stages of development of targeted small molecules by supporting the implementation of scientifically driven development plans, primarily on setting up the strategy and executing on bioinformatics analysis of biomarkers of interest for various projects
· Develop, maintain, and refine bioinformatics workflows and analytical tools for preclinical and clinical biomarker data analysis.
· Practical knowledge of bioinformatics tools and resources, experience with next generation sequencing (NGS) data, various high-throughput omics analysis pipeline development, integrative omics data and big data warehousing, cloud computing, and strong background in genomics and molecular biology.
· Practical knowledge and leadership experiences in designing, strategic planning and execution of patient stratification strategy and companion diagnostics development, especially in terms of biomarker data package submission to regulatory agencies.
· As a member of our bioinformatics group working with other research scientists and clinicians in a highly collaborative and dynamic environment to support biomarker investigations and translational medicine.Key Accountabilities/Core Job Responsibilities:
· Providing appropriate experimental design and biospecimen sampling scheme, molecular data analysis strategy and statistical support to identify mechanisms of action or resistance for small molecule therapeutics, identification of candidate biomarkers for various programs and projects and other research and/or clinical objectives.
· Working with standard bioinformatics tools, visualization packages, and omics databases/annotations resources.
· Automating, refining and implementing the processing and analysis of large data sets (especially for high dimensional integrative omics analyses).
· Developing and using bioinformatics pipelines to prepare and analyze data.
· Designing, developing, and maintaining databases for scientific and commercial applications.
· Analyzing and working with NGS data, ideally whole genome and exome sequence data.
· Interpreting and translating data to biological knowledge.
· Presentation in internal group meetings or external scientific meetings.Qualifications/Experience:
Expertise and experiences in experimental designs and biomarker driven clinical trial designs
Demonstrated fluency in UNIX/Linux computing environment (12+ years)
Proficiency in C/C++, R programming, (12+ years) and a scripting language such as Perl or Python (Java programming is a plus).
Familiarity with SAS, JMP or JMP Genomics, OmicSoft ArraySuite are a plus.
Excellent working knowledge of current best practices in genetic variant discovery and validation methods.
Strong organizational, written, and communication skills.
Excellent analytical and problem solving abilities.
A proven track record in scientific publications and invited presentations at major conferences on biomarker correlative studies in clinical trials.
Knowledge of cellular and molecular biology, oncology, and drug development processes.
Enjoys working in a fast paced and highly collaborative dynamic environment with a diverse team to tackle complex problems.
Eager to learn and think outside the box.
Is disciplined and driven to deliver ongoing research results.
Has a positive attitude with a willingness to roll up their sleeves and do what it takes to get the job done.
Is highly organized and detail oriented.
Is a strong written and verbal communicator.
Has a hard work ethic with emphasis on execution.
Education Requirements (degree, certifications, etc.): Include must have and preferred
- PhD in Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, Statistical Genetics/Genomics, Computer Science, Statistics/Biostatistics with strong molecular biology background, and industry experience preferred.
- Experiences in developing small molecule therapeutics for oncology or immunology or immune-oncolo.
- Strong understanding and proven track record in genomics/technology and applications to clinical development.