Manufacturing Supervisor, Vector Production
We are looking for motivated and enthusiastic individuals to join our Twist Bioscience Operations Team in San Francisco. The ideal candidate will be driven and will do what it takes to keep synthetic biology manufacturing on track in a fast paced start-up environment.
The Manufacturing Supervisor will be very knowledgeable in basic synthetic/molecular biology skills (PCR, restriction enzyme digestion, cloning, miniprep, DNA sequencing analysis) and will perform, train and/or oversee the production staff on basic molecular biology workflows in a highly automated, high-throughput manner and will be responsible for the timely manufacture and analysis of a variety of custom manufacturing reagents across Twist Bioscience’s proprietary workflow according to SOPs for the daily production schedule. The Manufacturing Supervisor will be a main point of contact for shift operators, will assure the shift staff is working according to plan of record, will provide guidance, and make decisions on priorities and troubleshooting. The Manufacturing Supervisor will be responsible for leading the pass down of information between shifts. The ideal candidate will work independently, be very neat and organized, have excellent molecular biology skills, maintain and build 5S systems, contribute to process improvement, documentation, and communicate effectively with peers / management. The ideal candidate with have knowledge of good laboratory practices (GLPs) and familiarity working in GMP or ISO rated production, and experience leading and training others. The candidate must be comfortable working in a LEAN manufacturing/ controlled laboratory environment.
Roles and Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Communicate with development staff to transfer new SOPs to production
- Communicate with operations staff to schedule and ensure timely production of custom intermediates for manufacturing
- Maintain large banks of custom products
- Produce highly custom intermediates for manufacturing operations pipeline in manufacturing lab environment according to established SOPs.
- Interpret QC data for final product release to manufacturing
- Maintain thorough, accurate and detailed documentation / databases of all work produced in batch records, databases or other acceptable formats including problems and deviations
- Operation of basic semi-automated / automated lab equipment for molecular biology workflow
- Track metrics to assess quality of product produced by both physical and functional test methods
- Understanding of scientific principles in order to problem solve and troubleshoot test results.
- Keen observation and attitude to proactively identify production problems / solutions, provide solutions on lab techniques, protocols, processes, handling of product and equipment
- Upholding standards as defined by the manufacturing process
- Supporting continuous cost/process improvement initiatives
- Ability to work independently and in a safe manner
- Attention to details to ensure process consistency
- Leading shift passdown efforts and prioritizing workflows
- Accountability for the shift and when senior personnel are not on site
- Acting as advisor to meet schedules and/or resolve technical problems and provides in production guidance to more junior MFG personnel
- Scheduling of staff
- Review and verification of production batch records, manufacturing documents
- Submission and writing of incident reports, CAPAs, planned deviations etc
Key Skills include demonstrated knowledge and/or hands on experience with basic lab techniques and equipment/ automation such as:
- Sample amplification (PCR, growing/maintaining cell cultures)
- Analytical techniques (sample quantification, spectroscopy)
- Liquid handling (single, multi channel pipetting, robotic liquid handlers, centrifugation)
- Sequence Analysis: (CE, Gel based methods, arrays, NGS, Sanger sequencing)
- Molecular Biology techniques (transformation, mini/maxiprep, restriction enzyme digestion
- Sealing and packaging techniques
- Basic computer skills, especially with excel and MS Office products, statistics, JIRA, Confluence, SAP and MFG databases
- Bachelors of Science in biology, chemistry or biochemistry
- 5+ years lab experience in MFG environment
- Exceptional organizational skills
- Experience in Synthetic Biology workflows a bonus
- Must be experienced using automation
- Ability to work in an ISO, GMP, LEAN mfg environment and follow the lean manufacturing concepts
- Proven ability to direct personnel to accomplish daily work.
- Experience assessing current processes and techniques and implementing procedural improvements
- Good problem solving and communication skills
Typical Working Conditions are:
- Team based laboratory environment.
- Working in controlled laboratory environment
- Must be able to stand for long periods of time while performing duties.
- Must be able to work safely with chemicals and hazardous materials.
- Must be able to lift up to 20 lbs.
- Must be able to work outside of regular work hours/ work a flexible shift as needed
About Twist Bioscience
At Twist Bioscience, our expertise is accelerating science and innovation by leveraging the power of scale. We have developed a proprietary semiconductor-based synthetic DNA manufacturing process featuring a high throughput silicon platform capable of producing synthetic biology tools, including genes, oligonucleotide pools, and variant libraries. Our platform overcomes the current inefficiencies of synthetic DNA production and enables cost-effective, rapid, high-quality and high throughput synthetic gene production, which in turn, expedites the design, build, test cycle to enable personalized medicines, pharmaceuticals, sustainable chemical production, improved agriculture production, diagnostics, biodetection, and data storage. For more information, please visit www.twistbioscience.com. Twist Bioscience is on Twitter. Sign up to follow our Twitter feed @TwistBioscience at https://twitter.com/TwistBioscience.
Twist Bioscience Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Twist Bioscience Corporation provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic characteristics, or any other category protected by law.