Scientist II - Molecular Biology Protein Expressions
NGM Biopharmaceuticals, Inc. is a private biotech company dedicated to discovering and developing the next generation of medicines for the treatment of serious diseases. Our experienced scientific team has joined forces with an impressive group of industry professionals, Nobel Laureates and other distinguished researchers to form a company where innovation and cutting-edge science has provided the foundation for a robust drug discovery engine. To date, NGM Bio has generated a pipeline of six drug candidates in various stages of development, including NGM282 that recently demonstrated proof-of-concept in a Phase 2 study in non-alcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH). We have many more in preclinical development. In 2015, we entered into a broad, strategic collaboration with Merck that will provide us with the resources and flexibility to pursue our ambitious R&D goals and further extend our pipeline of novel drug candidates.
We are currently looking for an experienced and highly motivated Scientist II to lead a functional group with responsibilities that include molecular design, cloning and vector construction, protein engineering and protein expression in microbial, yeast, insect, and mammalian cells. The successful candidate will lead his/her molecular biology and protein expression team to advance our therapeutic programs from discovery to preclinical stage.
- Lead the molecular biology and protein expression functional unit that includes one research associate
- Initiate and direct the molecular design, cloning, engineering and troubleshoot the creation of protein expression constructs preferably with high level of proficiency using bioinformatics software such Vector NTI
- Execute transient and/or stable cell transfection for generation of recombinant proteins, antibodies, and/or protein-expressing cells ensuring the highest quality work product for both small and large scale protein production for reagent generation and clinical candidate selection
- Direct protein engineering and expression optimization for bacterial (E. coli), yeast, insect (BEVS), and mammalian expression systems including scale-up (10-25L) biomass production
- Represent the molecular biology and protein expression team at team meetings to provide timely input and provide scientific guidance to progress the programs forward
- Maintain our expression vector constructs inventory and records
- Ph.D. and postdoc training in molecular biology or biochemistry with strong publication record
- 1 to 4 years of experience in directing molecular/cell biology and/or recombinant protein expression research
- Demonstrated expertise in state of the art technologies employed for recombinant DNA manipulation including but not limited to cloning, site-directed mutagenesis, codon optimization, and/or gene synthesis
- Demonstrated leadership skills in managing a productive team and being a technical expert in guiding Research Associates in the group
- Strong communication skills (both oral and written)
- Strong team spirit: capable of working in a team-based environment spanning multiple disciplines and collaborating with scientists and associates in a fast-paced, energetic environment
- Exceptional organizing skills and up-to-date record keeping capabilities
- Independent and self-motivated, with a strong sense of urgency and ability to drive a project to completion under tight timelines
NGM offers a creative, collaborative, highly challenging scientific environment, along with a strong compensation package that includes salary, stock options, 401(k) and a comprehensive benefits package.
Interested applicants should click "Apply Now"