Sr. Bioinformatics Scientist
Bionano Genomics is looking for a talented, highly innovative Senior Bioinformatics Scientist to develop advanced algorithms for genome finishing and structural variation analysis applications using Bionano and NGS sequence data. Bionano’s high-throughput single-molecule genome mapping platform enables comprehensive genome analysis. The Senior Bioinformatics Scientist will be joining a highly collaborative environment with expertise in multiple areas.
The position is based in San Diego and the successful candidate must have in-depth knowledge of contemporary bioinformatics approaches for sequence analysis. He or she will have the ability to perform advanced genomic analysis and develop tools to analyze and interpret a large volume of diverse datasets to drive genomic discovery. This position requires scientific rigor and the capacity to perform independent analysis.
Primary duties include the following:
- Design, implement, and validate novel algorithms, and provide written documentation.
- Perform data mining, analysis, and integration on genomic data from Bionano, NGS, and other high-throughput platforms (microarray, aCGH, physical/genetic mapping etc.).
- Extract features of interest from data relating to specific biological questions.
- Contribute to presentation of methods, results, conclusions, and recommendations.
Required Background and skills:
- PhD in computer science, statistics, bioinformatics, computational biology, or genomics.
- Experience with one or more of the following: Python, Perl, and R.
- Knowledge in statistics, modeling, and machine learning.
- Knowledge in basic biological processes and genomics.
- Working knowledge of laboratory protocols relevant to sequence analysis.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to multi-task and shift priorities in a fast-paced environment.
Advantageous Experience and Skills:
- Experience with one or more of the following: C++, Java, and SQL.
- Experience with NGS and long-read sequencing technologies.
- Experience with analysis of clinical data, including prioritization and identification of disease-driving variants.
- Experience with high-performance computing (Cluster and/or cloud).
- Experience with developing production-level code and using version control tools.
- In-depth knowledge of sequence alignment and assembly algorithms.
- Knowledge in population genetics and experience with population- and family-based analysis.
Bionano Genomics does not accept resumes submitted by agencies. The Human Resources team is the focal point for all recruitment and hiring at the company. Agencies are asked not to contact or forward resumes to our Executive team, Management team, or any current Bionano employee for consideration. Resumes are only accepted from agencies if a signed agreement is in place and therefore Bionano Genomics is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
Bionano Genomics is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of any kind. Bionano is committed to the principles of equal opportunity employment for all employees and to providing a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Bionano are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Bionano will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics and encourages applicants of all ages. Bionano participates in E-Verify.