Apex Life Sciences is searching for an experienced candidate with experience in Enzyme Engineering to work for our Client in San Diego, CA.
- Plan and carry out experiments, analyze results, present findings, solve challenging technical problems
- Design and optimize DNA sequencing methods using novel chemistries
- Formulate and optimize critical reagents to be used with polymerases.
- Carry out experimental work involving DNA/enzyme manipulation with an emphasis on quantitative analysis of results.
- May use advanced techniques of fluorescence microscopy to push the boundaries of DNA sequencing performance (accuracy, read length, throughput)
- Work closely with other members of the R&D team, with expertise in organic chemistry, surface chemistry, enzyme engineering, enzyme purification and application, physics, micro-fluidics, optics, signal processing and engineering.
- PhD in Molecular Biology, BioChemistry, BioPhysics or related field
- 6+ years R&D experience, post-PhD
- Very strong quantitative analytical and experimental skills, and deep physical insights
- Experience in Enzyme Kinetics, especially kinetics of DNA polymerases including measurement of all relevant kinetic parameters.
- Apply quantitative methods to molecular biology methods including amplification.
- Specific expertise in protein engineering by extensive mutagenesis.
- Able to use existing crystallographic and sequence data to identify likely mutagenesis targets to improve DNA polymerase for novel nucleotides.
- Demonstrated ability to come up with innovative ideas and develop them into commercial applications and intellectual property
- Desire and ability to work in a small interdisciplinary team to develop new technologies at a rapid pace
- Experiences preparing and running mutagenesis and screening pipelines.
- Next-Gen sequencing experience a plus.