Vice President, Business Development
The Vice President, Business Development plans and directs all aspects of the company’s sales policies, objectives and initiatives. This role oversees work performed by Business Development Directors, other sales support staff and contract employees/services. This position is responsible for the company’s Marketing programs. The Vice President, Business Development serves on the Leadership Team.
- B.S. or M.S./MBA, preferably including scientific discipline, plus 12 years life science/healthcare commercial and business development experience; marketing experience preferred.
- Eight (8) years of relevant leadership and personnel management experience
- Knowledge of preclinical and clinical drug development, study designs and procedures in support of human and animal drug development.
- Extensive experience in sales/commercial functions of regulated bioanalysis of large and small molecule therapeutics.
- Knowledge of current United States FDA requirements and guidance on bioanalytical method development and sample analysis, familiarity with OEDC and ICH requirements, and current best practices in bioanalysis.
- Skilled in diagnosing and evaluating problems, thinking “outside the box”, interfacing constructively with others to achieve a solution.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills. Presents concepts logically and in an organized fashion; listens and responds well to questions.
- Reacts well under pressure; inspires trust of others; accepts responsibility for own actions.
- Manages competing demands; able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
- Works with integrity and ethically; upholds organizational values. Makes positive contribution to company culture.
- Displays ability to make timely decisions; exhibits sound and accurate judgment; includes appropriate people in decision-making process;
- Computer Skills – Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office applications, particularly Word, Excel, Outlook, and Powerpoint; CRM platform, particularly Salesforce. Understanding of, or ability to learn, Watson LIMS and the company’s Electronic Laboratory Notebook.
- Responsible for the overall policies and objectives of the company’s Business Development function in alignment with quality and relevant regulatory guidelines.
- Responsible for ensuring maximum sales volume for the company’s services, including making recommendations regarding pricing and margin.
- Develops and manages the annual and long-term sales plan to fulfill growth and revenue goals.
- Directly develops customer relationships and has personal accountability for a sales goal, as assigned.
- Manages all aspects of the selling function including lead generation/prospecting, inside sales, outside sales and customer service initiatives.
- Oversees the company’s Marketing initiatives via efforts of staff and/or contract resources.
- Sets clear objectives and measurements for the performance of all Business Development (sales) and Marketing staff, and monitors and evaluates results from these goals and objectives.
- Provides support, training and mentoring to guide individual development needs and lead the group toward personal and team excellence.
- Represents company to external organizations; identifies potential business partners and negotiates agreements.
- Works with colleagues and staff to accomplish the company’s growth strategy, including evaluation of potential future services, products and/or partnerships.
- Prepares and complies with annual expense and capital expenditure budgets.
- Oversees annual conference strategy.
- Travels for business development, client meetings, conferences and in support of field-based staff
Directly manages all Business Development and Marketing staff, including field-based Business Development Directors.