Portfolio Lead, Biologics Operations
At AstraZeneca we turn ideas into life changing medicines. Working here means being entrepreneurial, thinking big and working together to make the impossible a reality. We're focused on the potential of science to address the unmet needs of patients around the world. We commit to those areas where we think we can really change the course of medicine and bring big new ideas to life.
As a member of the Program Management Office (PMO) leadership team, the Portfolio Lead, Biologics Operations in Gaithersburg, MD will provide focused and targeted portfolio insights, analyses and recommendations that inform portfolio direction setting, decision-making and prioritization of investments in line with short, medium and long-term Biologic Operations strategy to drive business growth. This role will lead the newly formed Product Lifecycle Council (PLC) and Portfolio Approval Board (PAB) with accountability for ensuring a robust set of projects (Drug and Non-Drug) have been approved, prioritized across the organization and rigorous scenario plans have been reviewed and endorsed with appropriate resources assigned.
This role will also support the implementation of consistent project management and resource forecasting practices to drive high data quality, whilst building and leveraging portfolio management tools/systems.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lead the implementation, training and documentation of the integrated Bio Operations portfolio governance business process and associated governance operating model
- Partner with Project Sponsors and business owners to support project initiation, business case preparation and governance review forums to enable a consistent approach to portfolio review and optimization.
- Certify that candidate projects meet the correct business case standards
- Deliver analyses that contextualize and support governance decision-making. Aggregate the portfolio of wait-list projects and develop prioritized options for PLC and PAB
- Leadership of the complete portfolio review process across multiple governance review teams (PLC, PAB, escalation to Operations Management Team) whilst maintaining a continuous improvement mindset looking to improve the processes/systems as required.
Portfolio Reporting and Management:
- Deliver a full and integrated suite of portfolio reports, analyses and communications that collectively track status versus business goals, portfolio progress and efficiency
- Manage the monthly project delivery KPI process and feed of escalations into the PLC and PAB
- Support external stakeholder reporting activities on the Biologic operations portfolio and performance.
- Maintain a detailed understanding of the shape and drivers of the Bio Operations portfolio through proactive involvement with key customers and stakeholders.
- Contribute portfolio insights/drivers and partner with the senior management in preparation for delivering key quarterly business reviews and annual business updates/long range planning initiatives.
Portfolio Management Practices:
- Support the consistent use of portfolio management practices as related to governance preparations, resource capacity management, and utilization/leveraging of project planning & portfolio systems
- Ensure data quality for both Product and non-product related projects are fit for purpose to enable robust portfolio analyses and reports, including conducting annual review areas for focus and improvement.
- Be knowledgeable regarding external benchmarks and competitor information and apply that knowledge to contextualize and assess Bio Operations project & portfolio decisions
- BA/BSc is required. An advanced degree (i.e. MBA) is preferred.
- Minimum of 8 years experience in healthcare consulting or biopharma industry. Portfolio experience essential, Global experience preferred, scientific background required.
- Experience of leading and driving portfolio governance processes & analytical insights, providing recommendations and scenario options.
- Strong strategic thinking, decision making, and problem solving
- Leadership skills, including ability to influence without authority, and collaboration
- Advanced skills in software applications such as Excel, Word, PowerPoint, etc.
- Advanced knowledge in Portfolio systems such as Tableau, Qlikview, Planisware, Spotfire, Enrich
- Strong analytical, organizational and communication skills (written and verbal) required
- Proven teamwork in a Project/Function matrix environment, routinely facilitating the exchange of ideas
- Demonstrated ability to bring ideas to action
- Experience in a manufacturing or functional discipline within the pharmaceutical industry
- Understanding of the drug development process and the pharmaceutical industry and its future challenges and opportunities
- Portfolio Management Qualification (PfMP)
- Project Management Qualification (PMP)
Next Steps - Apply today!
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please complete the full application on our website at your earliest convenience - it is the only way that our Recruiter and Hiring Manager can know that you feel well qualified for this opportunity. If you know someone who would be a great fit, please share this posting with them.
AstraZeneca is an equal opportunity employer. AstraZeneca will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law.