Associate Scientist, Histology
Other Locations:US- CA- San Diego
Celgene is a global biopharmaceutical company leading the way in medical innovation to help patients live longer, better lives. Our purpose as a company is to discover and develop therapies that will change the course of human health. We value our passion for patients, quest for innovation, spirit of independence and love of challenge. With a presence in more than 70 countries, and growing - we look for talented people to grow our business, advance our science and contribute to our unique culture.
We are seeking a highly collaborative Associate Scientist to join the Histo-IHC laboratory. The successful candidate will lead the histology functions supporting preclinical pharmacology, toxicology investigative studies and translational development biomarker effort at Celgene. The individual will act as Histology technical authority, communicate with scientists and pathologists, coordinate and prioritize projects.
As an experienced professional, the primary responsibilities consist of histology specimen preparation from animal toxicology and pharmacology studies, as well as human tissue sectioning and preparation for IHC studies. The ideal candidate will have a high degree of proficiency and training in routine histology and be familiar with rodent prosection and necropsy techniques. Histology procedures will include formalin fixed tissue trimming, tissue processing and embedding, paraffin block and frozen tissue sectioning, H&E and special stains. Experience running IHC assays and tissue microarray construction is desired.
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Tissue trimming, processing, embedding, making microscopic slides for H&E, special stains and IHC
- Troubleshooting tissue/slide problems and QC prepared slides
- Assist with sample accessioning and organizing of toxicology and clinical studies
- Assist with maintenance of the tissue database
- Share responsibilities in maintaining lab equipment and supply inventory
- Contact vendors for equipment service and repair
- Bachelor's degree in a scientific discipline with at least 6 years work experience or Master's degree with at least 4 years work experience.
- HT/HTL (ASCP) certification preferred.
- A minimum of 6 years of working experience in histology is preferred..
- Industry experience is preferred.
- Strong written and oral communication skills are critical, including experience in contributing to writing SOPs.
- The candidate will need to work well within a team and have strong interpersonal skills.
- Computer skills are required and the candidate should be familiar in using word processing, spreadsheets, and PowerPoint presentation software.
BIO-USCelgene is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. Celgene complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act. All applicants must have authorization to work for Celgene in the U.S.