Associate Director, Contracts Attorney
Rigel Pharmaceuticals, Inc. is a biotechnology company dedicated to discovering, developing and providing novel small molecule drugs that significantly improve the lives of patients with immune and hematological disorders, cancer and rare diseases. Rigel's pioneering research focuses on signaling pathways that are critical to disease mechanisms. The company's current clinical programs include clinical trials of fostamatinib, an oral spleen tyrosine kinase (SYK) inhibitor, in a number of indications. Rigel has submitted, and the FDA has accepted for review, an NDA for fostamatinib in patients with chronic or persistent immune thrombocytopenia (ITP), for which a PDUFA date has been set for April, 2018.
Reporting to the associate general counsel, the successful candidate will have solid transactional experience as a commercial attorney.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Serve as the lead contracts counsel in the Rigel Legal Department for one or more of Rigel’s anticipated commercial product lines;
- Provide full-service contracting support to other internal functions, which may include Market Access, Medical Affairs, Patient Engagement, Corporate Communications, Commercial Operations, Patient Services, Market Research, New Product Planning, Information Technology, Research, Development, or G&A, each as necessary to support the needs of the business;
- Evaluate potential contractual arrangements and draft, review and negotiate all agreements and other legal documents that are typical for a pharmaceutical or biotech company, including confidentiality, service and consulting agreements, licenses, distribution and payer discount agreements and supply agreements;
- Interpret key contractual provisions in light of legal or regulatory requirements and advise internal clients on the ramifications of certain provisions, such as termination rights, dispute resolution process, liability limitations, indemnification obligations and protection of intellectual property;
- Efficiently manage risk and ensure business and compliance needs are accurately reflected in all agreements;
- Assist with the development of processes and practices that standardize and streamline the contracting process, including with development of standard contract language to be used in contracts;
- Work well within an internal team, cross-functionally and managing outside counsel with minimal oversight or guidance;
- Keep informed of new laws, regulations, and industry trends affecting the company.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILL REQUIREMENTS:
- Juris Doctorate from an accredited law school with the license to practice law in California (or qualify as a registered legal services attorney);
- Strong written and oral communications skills;
- At least 4 years of experience, with a law firm or as an in-house attorney, counseling clients on the negotiation and drafting of commercial agreements, including significant experience in the biotech or pharmaceutical industry;
- Experience with FDA regulations, the federal sunshine act and the federal anti-kickback statute, in particular as each pertains to the evaluation of commercial contracts;
- Experience with discount and service arrangements with payer and trade customers;
- Ability to draft concise and effective contractual documents; and
- Embrace and champion our core values.
Rigel Pharmaceuticals Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer with a commitment to diversity.
All individuals are encouraged to apply.