Project Manager, Pharma
We have a new opportunity for a Project Manager to work in a fun, fast paced environment with the potential for substantial personal development.
The qualified candidate will lead and manage assigned drug development projects under the general supervision of the Vice President Project Management. They will be responsible for the creation and maintenance of project development plans and will ensure continuous alignment of development and business strategies between executive management, Project Management, and line function participants. Once development plans are approved, manage cross-functional project teams consisting of representatives of various departments/functions and as required for the projects. Work with project teams to develop and optimize overall development timelines including resource planning (FTE, externals costs etc.). The Project Manager will apply project management and technical expertise to monitor critical path timelines and resources. They will inform key stakeholders of status, issues, problems, and proposed solutions and execute effective and timely communication to line functions and senior management, and proactively communicate issues and concerns providing transparency with key customers and stakeholders in a global setting. And, they are accountable for adherence to PaxVax governance structure and processes.
PaxVax executes development projects in a variety of formats, any of which could be assigned to the new Project Manager. These include projects solely executed within the PaxVax organization, joint development projects with major external contractors or co-development partners, and projects funded by government (eg Department of Defense, BARDA, or NIH) or other external funders (eg CEPI). The best candidate will have experience in one or more of these areas, and will be capable of being a primary point of contact with external partners. Some capabilities in proposal/contract development & management will be a plus. Some knowledge of advanced project accounting methods, such as Earned Value Management, will be a plus.
The new Project Manager will work with the VP Project Management and the rest of the Project Management department to continuously evolve and improve the PaxVax Project & Portfolio methodology.
The qualified candidate must be motivated, well organized, flexible, proactive, resourceful and efficient with a high level of professionalism and confidentiality.
- Develop project development plans (PDP’s)
- Defend PDP’s to the PaxVax R&D Portfolio Committee (RDPC)
- Lead all planning activities, including comprehensive project timelines, multi-year resource forecasts, and when appropriate project risk plans
- Negotiate the “What and When” of project plans with line functions
- For projects with major external components, participate in grant/contract preparations (depends on expertise)
- Lead & primary accountability for Core Team organization & communication
- Ensure project decisions are effectively made by the right stakeholders
- Meet corporate project goals
- For projects with major external components, participate in required progress/status reporting, possibly including EVM analysis
Resource & other conflicts
- Identify and resolve gaps/conflicts including with function resources
- Understand relative portfolio & project priorities & maintain project progress within assigned priority
- Provide updates and recommendations to RDPC routinely, and especially when project change materially affects project scope, schedule, or cost
- BA/BS degree required, advanced degree a plus
- Broad knowledge of the pharmaceutical industry – 7-10 years’ experience
- Prior experience in one or more technical disciplines
- 3-5 years’ experience in the Project Management discipline
- PM certification preferred
- Excellent communication, presentation, and negotiation skills necessary to converse with inter-departmental staff and customers
- Excellent attention to detail and strong analytical, verbal, and written communication skills
- Comfortable in the small pharma work environment and able to interact with employees at all levels
- Able to collaborate and cooperate with other departments within the company to meet employee needs and job specific timelines
- Able to implement Earned Value Management techniques and provide earned value metrics in monthly reporting on government contracts a plus
- Proficiency with Microsoft Project, experience with Microsoft Project Server and/or Sharepoint a plus
- Able to travel as required to meet with contractors, partners, or project funding entities
- Team player with a can-do attitude