Manager, Facilities and Lab Support
MANAGER, FACILITIES AND LAB SUPPORT
The Manager, Facilities and Lab Support will report to the Director of Workplace and Facilities. The candidate will be well-rounded in both Facilities and Laboratory environments.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Support a safe and effective working environment in laboratories and office areas for employees and visitors
- Maintaining cleanliness of all laboratory service areas, including glassware, autoclave, waste areas, etc
- Ensuring laboratory equipment is in good working condition from certification of hoods and equipment to freezers/refrigerators with timely inspections/PM, calibrations and repairs to mitigate downtime
- Collect and process dirty glassware from the laboratory and operate glasswasher and autoclave
- Maintaining stock of standard lab supplies, chemical/reagents and gases
- Performing chemical and bio hazard waste collection in labs and coordinating their timely removal form site with appropriate records
- Maintain OSHA, NFPA as well as local safety and environmental regulatory compliance and security standards for proper chemical and waste storage
- Assisting spill clean-up of chemicals and other hazardous waste as appropriate
- Maintaining updated MSDS content
- Coordinating receipt and verification of all incoming chemical materials and hazardous agents, and oversee their proper handling and storage
- Generating purchase orders and receiving incoming shipments in Global Blood Therapeutic's (GBT’s) purchasing system
- Performing required inspections of laboratory and chemical areas and maintain records.
- Develop and maintain Standard Operation Procedures (SOPs) for lab services in partnership with Environmental Health and Safety (EH&S) contractor and lab owners.
- Administer Workers Comp related duties to include, incident investigations, reporting and required follow up in partnership with Human Resources
- Participate on the EH&S/Safety Committee with post meeting follow up and record keeping
- Co-developing and administering life safety programs related to evacuations and incident response with manager
- Monthly inspections of safety showers, eyewash stations, First Aid cabinets, AED units and fire extinguishers
- Assisting team with general Facilities related tasks, such as large event/meeting support, maintaining employee amenities for high touch customer service
- AA Degree or higher preferred
- At least 2 years of relevant laboratory work experience is required
- Team player willing to respond to requests, or act on observations outside daily responsibilities to support the organization
- Prefer I.A.T.A. and D.O.T. certification for shipping of hazardous materials and other EH&S related regulations, or training and certification will be required
- 40 hour HAZWOPER training and 8 hour refreshers. 29 CFR 1910.120(e) preferred but not required. Ability to pass training and obtain certification required
- Blood-borne pathogens. 29 CFR 1910.1030 training preferred
- Good understanding of chemical safety information, and chemical and medical waste storage
- Possess the ability to explain complex technical information to persons unfamiliar with the subject
- Will participate in education, training or other programs requiring oral presentations
- Anticipates and identifies potential problems and collaborates with others on identifying solutions
- Ability to facilitate formal meetings or group discussions
- Has solid critical judgment and analytical skills.
- Strong PC (Word, Outlook, Excel) and keyboarding skills.
- Demonstrated experience managing multiple projects simultaneously.
- Works well under pressure and able to meet strict deadlines.
- Able to operate and maintain mechanical equipment including autoclaves to sterilize equipment, strongly preferred
- Works well independently, in a team or group environment.
- Resourceful at information gathering and is self-sufficient
- Excellent ability to speak English combined with strong written and interpersonal skills to communicate and write reports and findings of evaluations, audits, inspections or reviews both verbally and written
- Highly organized and detail-oriented
- Support site response 24/7.
- Must be able to lift 50+ lbs.
- Note: Some operations require bending or standing long hours.
Fit with GBT culture:
- Ability to build strong relationships with co-workers of various backgrounds and expertise
- Ability to function at a high level in a team setting whether leading the group or acting as an individual contributor
- Values-based leadership consistent with GBT's Core Values
- Excitement about the vision and mission of GBT
NOTE: This position summary is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other related duties as negotiated to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
Global Blood Therapeutics is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law.