Scientist/Sr Scientist, Translational Sciences - Pain and/or Inflammation
Arena provides a unique and strong collaborative network in support of our innovative pipeline across therapeutic areas including cardio-pulmonary, inflammation, autoimmunity, and pain. Here, you will have the opportunity to make a difference in people’s lives every day. The Translational Science group is the cornerstone of Arena’s effort to channel our scientific capabilities into the successful pre-clinical and clinical development of our novel potentially life-changing products.
As a key member of a cross-functional team, the Scientist/Sr Scientist will lead and support Arena’s development of its inflammation and/or pain products.
Reporting to the VP of Scientific Affairs, the lead non-lab based scientist is responsible for identifying and progressing new product opportunities from analysis of drug projects and through external collaborators. This scientist will manage external collaborators to develop and lead pre-clinical and clinical validation project plans, and will influence strategic direction based on new core science and/or disease opportunities.
What you’ll dive into
• Initiate and lead projects by managing overall process, data analysis, risk mitigation and decision-making required to progress projects from pre-clinical to early clinical development
• Manage and support ongoing academic and industry collaboration studies; support portfolio projects through collaboration with investigators on proposals
• Ensure projects are resourced appropriately and IP assets are developed and protected
• Contribute to and help direct focus from application of translational clinical and science best practices
What we expect
• MD and/or PhD with at least 2 years of industry experience (inflammation and/or pain background required); Experienced candidates may be considered even without industry experience
• Deep, scientific understanding of biology/pharmacology in its widest context with specialist knowledge in inflammation and/or pain; Experience with cannabinoid 2 (CB2) highly preferred
• Knowledge of early clinical development (phase I/II)
• Demonstrated success in leading and managing multiple projects in R&D, and ability to lead teams in design and delivery of translational and clinical projects
• Ability to apply new thinking and practice, yet flexible in modifying views in light of conflicting or new evidence
• Skilled in acting as an ambassador for Arena to influence key external organizations, opinion leaders and collaborators to further the development of projects and company vision
What you’ll get
• To be a part a growing company and fantastic team passionate about developing novel drug therapies to improve people’s lives
• Opportunities to learn and contribute creative solutions
• Comprehensive health insurance ($0 premium on select medical plans)
• Matching 401k retirement plan
• Paid time off and holidays including a Summer & Winter break
• Company celebrations
Arena celebrates and supports our differences and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Workplace. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. Arena is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.