Senior Director/Director Translational Medical Pathology- (Gaithersburg, MD)
If you're inspired by the possibilities of science to change lives and you thrive when making brave decisions - join us.
MedImmune is the worldwide biologics research and development arm of AstraZeneca. Here, you'll have the opportunity to make a difference in people's lives every day. As one of the world's premier biotechnology companies, our mission is centered on delivering life-changing products that advance world health, and help fight and cure disease. As a Sr. Director/Director Translational Medical Pathology (Gaithersburg, MD) in the Pathology function you'll play a pivotal role in channeling our scientific capabilities to make a positive impact on changing patients' lives.
We're constantly pushing the boundaries of science to deliver life-changing medicines to patients, with a passion for discovery and a pipeline to show for it. We're pioneering innovative research and exploring novel pathways across key therapeutic areas including oncology, respiratory, inflammation and autoimmunity, cardiovascular and metabolic disease, and infection and vaccines. And we're industry-leading in immunology, protein engineering and translational science. We offer a unique and strong collaborative network as part of the AstraZeneca family, as together we explore synergies between small and large molecules.
MedImmune has a dynamic environment that fosters collaboration and innovation. We attract top minds, and we nurture and build top talent.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
We are seeking a leading MD and/orPhD medical scientist with experience in translating insights gained from analysis of tumors and tissues into actionable drug development strategies, particularly as they relate to immuno-oncology. This individual will have the unique opportunity of leading a cross-functional team of pathologists, image analysts, bioinformaticians and translational medicine scientists to develop new approaches of understanding the tumor micro-environment, e.g. digital pathology, and applying that understanding to increase the probability of success of MedImmune's oncology pipeline
Specific duties and major responsibilities include:
- Internal expert on image analysis of tumor tissue and its application to drug development
- Lead a cross-functional team to be at the forefront of digital pathology
- Lead external academic partnerships as they relate to digital pathology
- Complex team and program management abilities. Lead and mentor an international cross-functional team of scientists and represent Medimmune Translational Medicine-Definiens-Pathology internally to senior management and externally to academic community and regulatory bodies.
Experience: Demonstrated strong scientific credentials in analysis of tumor tissues with proven track record of translating insights from the tumors and tumor micro-environment into actionable drug development strategies. Experience developing immuno-oncology therapeutics will be a plus. Experience and interest in developing cutting edge digital pathology approaches are preferred.
Education: M.D., Ph.D., M.D./Ph.D. or equivalent with specialization in medical pathology and/or at least 15 years of industry or academic experience in research and development.
- Published and respected in the immunology/immuno-oncology community
- Successful leadership and mentorship of individuals and teams in industry or academia
- Excellent understanding of the molecular pathways underlying cancer with demonstrated success in translating to development of drugs
- Understanding of drug development process from target identification through marketing approval
- Must have expert understanding of prognostic and predictive biomarkers and personalized healthcare approaches; understanding of bioinformatics is preferred
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills with ability to represent
- Medimmune Oncology translation medicine internally and externally to academic community and regulatory bodies
- Organizational skills with attention to detail and demonstrated ability to review technical reports, biomarker protocols and quantitative analyses
Next Steps - Apply today!
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please complete the full application on our website at your earliest convenience - it is the only way that our Recruiter and Hiring Manager can know that you feel well qualified for this opportunity. If you know someone who would be a great fit, please share this posting with them.
AstraZeneca is an equal opportunity employer. AstraZeneca will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law.