Director, Health Economics and Payer Analytics
Director, Health Economics and Payer Analytics - Gaithersburg, MD
At AstraZeneca we work together across global boundaries to make an impact and find answers to challenges. We do this with the utmost integrity even in the most difficult situations because we are committed to doing the right thing. We continuously forge partnerships that help pursue world-class medicines in new ways, combining our people's exceptional skills with those of people from all over the globe. As a Director, Health Economics and Payer Analytics, in Gaithersburg, MD, you'll play a pivotal role in channeling our scientific capabilities to make a positive impact on changing patients' lives. GPPS (Global Product and Portfolio Strategy) bridges science and commercial, integrating corporate, portfolio, therapy areas and product strategies, providing strategic direction from early-stage research through to commercialization.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
In Global Payer Evidence and Pricing (GPEP), we are an experienced team of specialists with many different skills, aligned to a common objective:
… to drive worldwide patient access to AZ medicines, with pricing and payer evidence strategies that demonstrate and deliver value
We accomplish this by working with R&D, Global Commercial, and external partners to ensure that credible and timely evidence and insights are available at every stage of the development and commercialisation process. This evidence based approach allows patient access to the medicines they need by helping the healthcare community make informed decisions.
This is a strategic analytical global role with responsibility (a) to proactively collaborate with compound project and payer teams, scientific experts and marketing companies (local affiliates) in designing and implementing innovative payer evidence strategies and activities and (b) to produce or direct the production of scientific evidence for payer submissions, global reimbursement dossiers and market access.
The job holder will have an in-depth, technical expert knowledge of health economics and payer analyses (including clinical trial design and analyses, and payer analytic tools/deliverables such as systematic literature reviews, indirect comparisons and economic modelling), and its application to pharmaceutical development throughout the development process.
- Through scientific leadership, deliver high quality health economics and payer analytic (HEPA) input into pharmaceutical development projects, global payer evidence plans, and market access & pricing strategies.
- Proactively and independently contribute to project planning processes and help predict and resolve issues that affect market access decisions.
- Detailed strategic and tactical planning of payer analytics (e.g. clinical trial design and analysis, economic modelling, evidence synthesis including indirect treatment comparisons) to support market access and reimbursement for assigned projects.
- Assume leadership of HEPA related activities, deliverables, and work streams.
- Represent GPEP in interactions with cross-functional team members at a project level, including input to clinical trial and program design to support payers' needs.
- Contribute to global reimbursement dossiers and reimbursement/formulary documents by identifying and effectively using internal and external data sources and literature references.
- Collaborate with marketing companies in preparing evidence that satisfies payer requirements.
- Generate global communication materials and publications for use with payers and other decision makers.
- Prepare and lead proposal requests for outsourced HEPA projects and manage the vendor selection process.
- Deliver assigned projects to time, budget, and quality, including the management of vendors as required.
- Participate in external HEPA departmental activities via technical presentations, committee membership, publication reviews, and other similar activities.
- Actively monitor, generate and apply new analytical techniques.
- Interact with health technology appraisal authorities and advisors/key external experts in preparing materials for scientific advice or reimbursement submissions
- In-depth expert knowledge of health economics and payer analytics and its application to pharmaceutical development at an international level, especially economic modelling, evidence synthesis and other analytical techniques required to support payer needs.
- Ability to enrich understanding of payer needs, healthcare systems and our competitors to maximize opportunities for optimal pricing and market access and to articulate this to stakeholders.
- Proactively bring payer analytic and evidence expertise and insight to the cross-functional teams to inform key processes and decision points.
- Drives to achieve the right solution for customers and stakeholders, generating options and managing risks to reach the right outcomes for the business.
- Is autonomous and demonstrates the ability to affect others' attitudes, beliefs and behaviors, without relying on formal authority, to achieve the right results for the business
- Anticipates the future, making sound decisions, proposals, plans, based on the ability to think broadly, see the bigger picture and make connections between facts, data and trends.
- Leadership skills and problem solving capabilities, demonstrated by an ability to evaluate threats and opportunities for payer evidence strategies and modify them as appropriate.
- Well-developed conceptual and integrative thinking with the capability to access internal and external resources for advice.
- Proactive application of therapeutic area and disease treatment knowledge.
- Able to implement projects, including engagement with key stakeholders, with a high degree of autonomy.
- High ability to communicate technical and strategic matters in a clear, compelling and impactful way with others via a range of media (e.g. face to face, teleconferences, video conferences, formal presentations, reports and emails) taking into account the diverse needs and interests of the audience.
- Developing and using the appropriate analytical methods to identify and generate robust evidence that maximizes meaningful product value (incorporating and addressing issues around uncertainty) for key payer archetypes and markets.
- Analytical methods including health state utility generation and analysis, comparative effectiveness techniques (including systematic reviews, and indirect treatment comparisons /network meta-analysis), and pharmacoeconomic modelling.
- The ability to understand and effectively apply payer, health technology assessment and value requirements into the design, conduct and analysis of clinical trials and RWE studies to maximise the evidence needs of payers and subsequent reimbursement.
- Demonstrates a robust understanding of international health care systems and global health technology assessment methods, evidence requirements and processes.
This role provides the opportunity to work with a wide variety of both internal and external stakeholders and experts.
Internal - some examples of internal contacts/customers are:
Global Price and Reimbursement Directors and Payer Teams
Global Payer Teams
Global Product Teams
Medical / clinical
Clinical teams (including clinical operations, statistics, epidemiology and patient reported outcome experts)
Marketing Company (Local Affiliates) and Medical Affairs staff
External - some examples of external contacts/customers are:
Government reimbursement and pricing authorities (e.g.,, NICE, G-BA/IQWiG/HAS. etc.)
Contract Research Organizations (CROs) and Academic Investigators
Scientific experts in the discipline
Next Steps - Apply today!
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please complete the full application on our website at your earliest convenience - it is the only way that our Recruiter and Hiring Manager can know that you feel well qualified for this opportunity. If you know someone who would be a great fit, please share this posting with them.
AstraZeneca is an equal opportunity employer. AstraZeneca will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law. AstraZeneca only employs individuals with the right to work in the country/ies where the role is advertised.