Regional Account Director
At AstraZeneca we turn ideas into life changing medicines. Working here means being entrepreneurial, thinking big and working together to make the impossible a reality. We're focused on the potential of science to address the unmet needs of patients around the world. We commit to those areas where we think we can really change the course of medicine and bring big new ideas to life. As a Regional Account Director (Field Based Role) you'll play a pivotal role in channeling our scientific capabilities to make a positive impact on changing patients' lives. North American Commercial is the ‘face' of AstraZeneca and MedImmune to our many healthcare clients. They represent many of the most well recognized and respected products in the industry, and build strong relationships with healthcare professionals.
AstraZeneca's vision in Oncology is to help patients by redefining the cancer-treatment paradigm, with the aim of bringing six new cancer medicines to patients between 2013 and 2020. A broad pipeline of next-generation medicines is focused principally on four disease areas - breast, ovarian, lung and hematological cancers. As well as other tumor types, these are being targeted through four key platforms - immunotherapy, the genetic drivers of cancer and resistance, DNA damage repair, and antibody drug conjugates, underpinned by personalized healthcare and biomarker technologies.
Director level position responsible for creating and maintaining access across the entire AZ portfolio, both large and small molecule.
The Regional Account Director develops and implements strategies for targeted regional US Market Access accounts including clinical, pricing, contract agreement discussions with direct contract accounts or downstream accounts and leads presentations/discussions with key pharmacy, medical, and C-suite personnel within the account. The focus of the Regional Account Director is to create access for AstraZeneca's portfolio by positively influencing the appropriate placement of AstraZeneca medicines in formularies, treatment algorithms, and medical policy. For direct contract accounts, the RAD creates proposals for consideration by the AZ Contract Strategy Team and directly negotiates with the customer. Maintains up to date knowledge of company and competition's products, services, customer priorities and the broader healthcare landscape. Collaborates with marketing and sales to inform strategy, maximize opportunity and mitigate risk.
Position is geographically based Regional Account Director, travel within U.S. required
- Developing and maintaining strong working business partnerships with C-Suite and influential leaders in senior management at the customer with a goal of understanding unique business needs, model and strategic challenges
- Assimilating market insight, customer and AZ priorities to develop a strategy that will serve as a catalyst to drive short term results while preparing for long term success.
- Developing strategic account plans, driving consistent execution of account plans/strategy across the organization for target accounts, fully engaging customer facing roles including field sales leadership.
- Creating synergistic opportunities based on an understanding of dynamics of the healthcare environment including interdependencies and influence
- Building strong, networked relationships throughout account customer organizations, and developing/strengthening key relationships with account senior leadership and decision makers
- Prioritizing account projects/initiatives that address changing customer and market requirements
- Increasing payer awareness among key stakeholders (Pharmacy and Medical) in priority accounts across portfolio (large and small molecule)
- Informing and advising Brand and Sales Leadership of geographic opportunities and risks
- Driving absolute sales growth with focus on highest impact launches and growth cases
- Maximizing profitability of LOE brands
- Being a catalyst for payer changes to utilization management in Oncology/Specialty
- Understanding and obtaining buy-in for all deal/no-deal contract strategies with all aligned partners.
- Innovate by bringing ideas/solutions back to the business
- Proactive in identifying issues and challenges with accounts. Engages with appropriate resources for development of contract offers and program / service agreements.
- Build and articulate a business case using facts and data to provide actionable solutions to deliver value in short and long term.
- Acts as focal point for the operational advancement of the contracts/agreements through internal processes. Presents and negotiates key deal terms with customers or provides insight to PBM downstream accounts regarding new pricing and national PBM formulary decisions.
- Monitors full account contracting process including accuracy of all contract terms such as: key operational terms; rebate rates and administrative fees, market basket details, Formulary position information and request non-direct contract accounts to secure financial modelling from their PBMs.
- Inform brand and organization strategy based on assimilated knowledge of the market.
- Deep understanding of specialty care marketplace and landscape, reimbursement model, and Rx to dispense
- Working with customers to ensure medical policies are scientifically current and ensure coverage policies are in alignment with brand strategies at launch
- Bachelor's degree
- Considerable pharmaceutical experience
- Thorough understanding of market dynamics across multiple therapeutic areas and across various business segments
- Knowledge of the managed market dynamics and competitive landscape
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with and influence peers and educate management regarding account needs
- Exhibited ability to manage multiple, concurrent work streams in diverse functions and therapeutic areas
- Demonstrated communication and platform skills
- Demonstrated leadership, project management and team development ability
- Strong customer facing skills
- Strong understanding of the broader healthcare environment and impact to customer.
- Demonstrated negotiating capability
- Experience with organized customers preferably at the C-Suite level and delivering value proposition of portfolio of products
- Ability to learn and effectively communicate with customer's detailed clinical information regarding AZ and competitive medicines across the entire AZ portfolio.
- Account management experience with a demonstrated proficiency for contracting and marketing
- Deep understanding of the specialty care marketplace and specialty reimbursement landscape model
- Experience with intermediary (health plan, PBM, GPO, VA/MTF) type customers and delivering effective formulary access
- Understanding of financial concepts and contracting issues including legal and best price implications
- Prior experience in sales management or general management
- Prior experience in managed care at a pharmaceutical company or managed care organization
Next Steps -- Apply today!
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please complete the full application on our website at your earliest convenience -- it is the only way that our Recruiter and Hiring Manager can know that you feel well qualified for this opportunity. If you know someone who would be a great fit, please share this posting with them.
AstraZeneca is an equal opportunity employer. AstraZeneca will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law. AstraZeneca only employs individuals with the right to work in the country/ies where the role is advertised.