Administrative Assistant II
The Gladstone Institutes is an independent, not-for-profit research institution affiliated with the University of California San Francisco (UCSF), contributing to the health and well-being of all people through medical research, education, and outreach in the areas of heart disease, HIV/AIDS, and neurological disease. Gladstone is composed of three separate institutes and approximately 400 employees. Our employees receive exceptional benefits. We are located in an award-winning building adjacent to UCSF's Mission Bay Campus. Gladstone has consistently ranked as one of the top places to work in academia in the United States.
The Gladstone Institutes is recruiting a well-organized, highly skilled and versatile Administrative Assistant to provide high-level support to the President Emeritus/Founder and Senior Investigator. The person in this position will perform work under periodic supervision and may use independent judgment to establish methods and procedures on new assignments. Assignments and projects are varied. The person in this position will rely on excellent organizational skills and the ability to effectively handle multiple priorities. S/he is expected to regularly juggle multiple competing priorities and demands while staying extremely organized.
- Prepares, formats, copy edits, and distributes a variety of documents, correspondence, reports, manuscripts, grants, protocols, publication submissions, lecture presentations, and/or other related items. Proofreads documents for accuracy and completeness.
- Functions as external liaison coordinating the activities of an academic laboratory and a startup company.
- Prepares graphics for lecture presentations.
- Manages executive calendar and correspondence, which includes: extensive scheduling of meetings, reading email and regular mail, drafting correspondence, bringing important issues to the attention of the executive, handling sensitive and/or confidential information, and/or performing other related activities.
- Proactively plans all aspects and logistics of domestic and/or international travel and/or other related activities. Prepares detailed itineraries, maintains accurate travel records, processes and tracks reimbursement requests, as needed.
- Performs a variety of accounts payable and/or receivable activities, including: preparing check requests, preparing purchase orders, monitoring expenses, processing invoices.
- Maintains electronic files, agreements, logs, databases and/or other related records.
- Performs a variety of routine clerical activities, which includes: monitoring and maintaining office inventory, filing, scanning documents, copying, and/or performing other related activities.
- Functions as internal liaison with other administrative offices such as Accounting, Grants, Human Resources, Development, IT, Executive Office, and Facilities/Operations.
- Functions as external liaison, as appropriate, with other universities, research institutes, and government funding offices.
- Provides department support to laboratory staff, as directed by supervisor.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- BA/BS, preferred.
- A minimum of three years of experience performing administrative support activities, preferably in a research or academic environment.
- Progressively responsible experience providing administrative support in a fast-paced and highly confidential environment.
- Superior organizational, administrative, and time management skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work well independently and collaboratively.
- Experience with complex calendar management.
- Advanced word processing skills using a Mac, and experience with database, graphics, & presentation (PowerPoint) programs. Experience with EndNote is a plus. Knowledge of Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop is a plus.
- Attention to detail and demonstrated ability to follow detailed directions with accuracy.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including grammar, spelling and editing.
- Recent experience formatting detailed grant applications, forms, scientific manuscripts, and bibliographies, or demonstrated equivalent experience.
- Highly proficient in all aspects of general administrative support. A proofreading test and Microsoft Word/Excel/PowerPoint tests will be given.
- A proactive approach to accomplishing work.
- Previous experience in an academic, medical, or healthcare environment preferred. Grant experience is a plus.
- Must be comfortable with multi-tasking and prioritization in a fast-paced environment with close attention to detail, accuracy, and timeliness.