Senior Scientist, AAV Structural Biologist
The Rare Diseases Research Unit (RDRU) of Pfizer is committed to the development of new therapies to address the unmet medical needs of those individuals with rare and neglected diseases. Recently, the RDRU established Bamboo Therapeutics in Chapel Hill, North Carolina in order to develop novel gene therapies using AAV with expertise in virology, recombinant virus production, structural biology, molecular biology and protein biochemistry. Our mission is to create next generation virions with a focus on interfacial interactions between virus and cellular receptors and to integrate our findings across multiple therapeutic areas including Neurosciences, Cardiovascular, Immunology and Rare Diseases. Our lab develops emerging targets applicable to Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy and other rare diseases rooted in human biology and genetics. We are seeking new members of our team that focuses on innovative solutions to the challenges of rare disease research sphere. These scientist positions will focus primarily on the use of AAV
The candidate will have responsibilities for examination of crystal structures and cryoEM data of viral protein complexes and viral subunit interfaces. In addition, the candidate will collaborate across Pfizer structural biology and Biophysics lines to provide materials for examination. The successful candidate is expected to understand critical issues and challenges faced in the design and examination of nanoparticle targeting and self-assembly and design strategies to examine those critical issues and challenges.
Additionally, the candidate will be expected to assess design and performance of studies in receptor ligand structures and adapting those molecular interactions to recombinant viral binding to receptors and examine viral structure to improve packaging, stability, and uncoating properties. The candidate will also need to have expertise in X-ray crystallography and cryoEM for interpretation as well as using various programs for display and interpretation of data.
- PhD in a biochemical, molecular, or cellular-related bioscience discipline with 3 years of laboratory experience including degree research
- Candidate should have independent lab experience working with AAV vectors, AAV biology, and AAV vectorology.
- Candidate should have experience with CryoEM and Xray crystallography image analysis
- Demonstrate abilities with molecular biology, biochemistry and imaging techniques such as: CryoEM, PyMol, and programs like Relion and FreAlign
- Candidate must have extensive experience working with a research team focused on project-specific goals as well as able to facilitate joint collaboration between research teams.
- Expertise in publications, presentations, and managing subordinate research projects is necessary.
Skills and attributes:
- Applicants with a good understanding of classical microscopy, cell biology, molecular biology and biochemistry are encouraged to apply.
- Previous experience with providing advice for specimen preparation and data acquisition is preferred.
- Experience with the structures of non-enveloped viral vectors is preferred.
- Proven track record of hypothesis-driven research that has employed molecular, biochemical, and cellular methods
- Experience with the development of viral vectors for efficient transduction in vivo in rodent models
- Team player who can communicate effectively in written and spoken English.
- Prior experience working in an industry environment is preferred, but not required.
Proficiency in Excel, Word, PowerPoint and scientific graphing software. Experience with statistical analysis software such as R and ability to perform basic scripting programming is desirable. Experience with PyMol and other structural programs for analyzing 3D data are required.
EEO & Employment Eligibility
Pfizer is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. Pfizer also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act and IRCA. Pfizer is an E-Verify employer.
Pfizer reports payments and other transfers of value to health care providers as required by federal and state transparency laws and implementing regulations. These laws and regulations require Pfizer to provide government agencies with information such as a health care provider's name, address and the type of payments or other value received, generally for public disclosure. Subject to further legal review and statutory or regulatory clarification, which Pfizer intends to pursue, reimbursement of recruiting expenses for licensed physicians may constitute a reportable transfer of value under the federal transparency law commonly known as the Sunshine Act. Therefore, if you are a licensed physician who incurs recruiting expenses as a result of interviewing with Pfizer that we pay or reimburse, your name, address and the amount of payments made currently will be reported to the government. If you have questions regarding this matter, please do not hesitate to contact your Talent Acquisition representative.
Additional Offer Details:
- Last Date to Apply for Job: November 1, 2017
- This job is Pfizer Exempt US/Grade: 011
- Eligible for Relocation Package: yes
- Eligible for Employee Referral Bonus: yes