Lead Genome Sciences & Technologies, ES&I
The ES&I Genome Sciences and Technologies (GST) Head is a global position that supports WRD's GST partner-line organization in the implementation of its scientific strategy in collaboration with the Pfizer Research Units. The role is responsible for the development of the ES&I Strategy, in collaboration with GST leadership, that enables such support, and for the execution of that strategy across all disease areas. The role also supports Pfizer's broad strategic objectives, which include creating a future R&D ecosystem where internal capabilities and science blend with external scientific innovation where breakthrough ideas can develop into capabilities that lead to differentiated medicines.
This role is central to helping the WRD GST organization implement an aggressive and competitive scientific strategy to deploy cutting-edge scientific capabilities both in genomics, with a focus on human genetics, and in advanced data and information analytics applied to a broad array of internal and external, heterogeneous data resources. These capabilities will help to advance specific objectives of the WRD Research Units related to confidence-in-rationale for the target, mechanism and indicated patient population. In addition, the incumbent is expected, in close partnership with GST leadership, and with dotted line reporting to the Head of GST, to identify other opportunities and means both to enhance the GST scientific strategy and to expand within or beyond the above scientific capabilities.
Two main ways in which this role will contribute to drug R&D are through the selection and prioritization of discovery targets, and through patient characterization to better understand disease drivers and response - all based on both causal human biology and strong mechanistic hypotheses derived from efforts in genetics, computational biology and biomedicine, and translational functional genomics.
This role champions a culture of innovative thinking, scientific excellence, entrepreneurship and strategic execution.
Responsibility for executing on the build-up and utilization of academic, institutional, and government-sponsored collaboration networks that target innovative opportunities in the field of genetics and genomic technologies across all of WRD and throughout the world. Outstanding and pro-active networking with external partners as well as WRD Research Units on a global level, including (active) participation at scientific meetings and conferences as well as academic, biotech, or VC interactions.
Information on opportunities to be processed (e.g., deposited in a database) and screened for strategic fit and relevance (requiring continuous interactions on scientific and business strategies with key stake holders, e.g., Research, Clinical, Commercial, Legal, Business development, Project Management, etc.)
Provide feedback to and follow up with external partners (e.g., decline, request/discuss further information) and while keeping partner lines informed and/or involved as appropriate
Coordinate and assist in review of information received on external opportunities.
For executed deals and partnerships, provide a level of strategic oversight or project alliance support to help ensure the opportunity can achieve its next milestone.
Ensure high and consistent quality of documentation and presentation regarding external opportunities to Senior Management (up to CEO) for decision making
Provide scientific expertise to Unit as member of the GST teams, and effectively link to Research Units, Business Development, or Legal as necessary for any aspects related to external opportunities
Incumbent will have additional responsibilities on an 'as needed basis', including but not limited to: consolidate the R&D perspective on post Proof-of-Concept and Regional Licensing or Merger/Acquisition opportunities for genetics, genomics, computational biology and diagnostics related activities with GST leadership and in partnership with the Pfizer Research Units.
Accountable for operational excellence, including consistency and transparency of all processes among Research Units with the goal to build consensus support for opportunities and ensure high and consistent quality of documentation and presentation to Senior Management (up to ELT, Board, CEO) for decision making. This includes i) the provision of scientific/clinical expertise and education as necessary to key partner lines within Pfizer (including, but not limited to, Research, Clinical, Commercial, Business Development, Project Management, Legal), ii) tracking of progress/impact of funded research, and iii) regular updates of the group's progress.
Pro-actively contribute in rendering Pfizer the preferred partner of choice within Academia and Biotech and represent Pfizer to external partners and maintain a professional environment during the initial contact as well as continued discussions and negotiations. Represent Pfizer at conferences as well as scientific and other business-related meetings as required (including presentations).
- Experienced in scientific exchange with bench scientists and senior level management of external companies.
- PhD and/or MD with extensive business knowledge and relevant collaboration/licensing/acquisition experience in the core areas of genetics, functional genomics, epidemiology, computational biology or biomedicine, or closely related fields with 12 years expertise in leading pharmaceutical/Biotech R&D in these disciplines required. Additional expertise relating to background in entrepreneurship in this area preferred (CSO/CEO in start-up biotechnology company, business development, venture capital, etc)
- Deep and broad scientific expertise in several of the core areas required: genetics, functional genomics, epidemiology, and computational biology or biomedicine
- Demonstrated knowledge in multiple disease areas of interest to Pfizer, w/ particular expertise in at least two such areas of relevance to the Cambridge Research Units required (metabolic disease, AD, PD, autoimmune disease, neuromuscular disease)
- Understanding of business development principles required
- Extensive knowledge and track record in target discovery and/or patient stratification highly preferred
- Strong track record in leading cross-functional teams, and in advancing ideas/programs through cross-functional partnering and bridging
- Experience with search and evaluation, due diligence, relationship and collaboration building, alliance management.
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills and demonstrated ability to communicate well across business lines
NON-STANDARD WORK SCHEDULE, TRAVEL OR ENVIRONMENT REQUIREMENTS
Requires at least 25% travel as this is a global position
EEO & Employment Eligibility
Pfizer is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. Pfizer also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act and IRCA. Pfizer is an E-Verify employer.
Pfizer reports payments and other transfers of value to health care providers as required by federal and state transparency laws and implementing regulations. These laws and regulations require Pfizer to provide government agencies with information such as a health care provider's name, address and the type of payments or other value received, generally for public disclosure. Subject to further legal review and statutory or regulatory clarification, which Pfizer intends to pursue, reimbursement of recruiting expenses for licensed physicians may constitute a reportable transfer of value under the federal transparency law commonly known as the Sunshine Act. Therefore, if you are a licensed physician who incurs recruiting expenses as a result of interviewing with Pfizer that we pay or reimburse, your name, address and the amount of payments made currently will be reported to the government. If you have questions regarding this matter, please do not hesitate to contact your Talent Acquisition representative.
Additional Offer Details:
- Last Date to Apply for Job: November 30, 2017
- This job is Pfizer, Exempt, US/PR Grade 18
- Eligible for Relocation Package
- Eligible for Employee Referral Bonus