Texas Instruments Ultra-low Power MCU With Integrated LCD Cuts System Cost of Consumer Medical Devices
Published: Jan 10, 2012
DALLAS, Jan. 10, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) (NASDAQ: TXN) today introduced its lowest cost microcontroller (MCU) with an integrated LCD controller. Based on TI's MSP430 ultra-low power MCU core, the AFE4110 delivers an industry-leading combination of 16-bit processing power, built-in LCD driver, low power and low cost, while operating on a single 1.5-V battery. Along with cost-effectiveness and ultra-low power, the AFE4110 features 16-kB ROM, 512-B RAM, a 4- x 12-segment LCD driver with charge pump, a high-accuracy oscillator, and additional features designed for digital thermometers, pedometers, thermostats and portable single alkaline battery devices. For information, samples and demonstration modules, visit www.ti.com/afe4110-pr.
Key features and benefits
- Performance and low cost: New, lowest price point for an MSP430 16-bit MCU with integrated LCD. The AFE4110 offers designers greater capabilities packaged into one low-cost device.
- Ultra-low power: Operating on a 1.5-V supply, the AFE4110 draws a low active current of 50 uA/MHz and sleep mode current of less than 0.3 uA.
- Reduced system cost: The low-cost AFE4110 has an integrated LCD and highly accurate oscillator, eliminating the need for an external crystal. In addition, the AFE4110 operates on a single, low-cost 1.5-V battery.
- MSP430 core: Leverages the large ecosystem of tools and sample code to speed designs.
- Highly accurate: 0.3-percent integrated oscillator brings high accuracy and low cost in one package, eliminating the need for an external crystal in most applications.
Availability and pricing
The AFE4110 is available now in a 2.7-mm x 1.1-mm die. The AFE4110 is priced at $0.80 in quantities of 1,000.
To learn more about the AFE4110, visit TI at CES in the Las Vegas Hilton Hotel, suite 4-117. TI will showcase the latest wireless medical advancements, integrating USB, Wi-Fi, ZigBee®, ANT, Bluetooth, Bluetooth low energy, RFID technologies. The team will also showcase ultra-low power microcontrollers and embedded processors, precision analog and power management for medical applications. Find out more at: www.ti.com/ces2012.
Tools and support
Designers can immediately take advantage of the AFE4110 demonstration module available for digital thermometers. It is priced at $75 and can be found at www.ti.com/AFE4110demomodule-pr. To find out about a full range of flexible development tools, EVMs and packaged devices to support designers using the AFE4110, please visit www.ti.com/afe4110evm.
Learn more about the AFE4110 and other TI products for consumer medical applications:
- Download the datasheet and order AFE4110 evaluation modules and samples at www.ti.com/afe4110-pr.
- View TI's technical and product information for a variety of consumer medical and home healthcare applications, including: heart rate and fitness monitoring systems, blood glucose and other diagnostic meters, blood pressure monitors, and digital thermometers: www.ti.com/consumermedical.
- Download TI's Consumer Medical Guide: www.ti.com/consumermedical-pr.
- Learn more about TI's full portfolio for medical applications at www.ti.com/medical.
- Learn more about TI's ultra-low-power MSP430 microcontrollers at www.ti.com/msp430.
About medical components from Texas Instruments
TI is helping shape technology to improve the quality and accessibility of medical equipment to revolutionize healthcare in the 21st century and beyond. With its full range of analog and embedded processing products, from building blocks to complete semiconductor solutions, plus systems insight, global support infrastructure, advanced process technology and medical industry involvement, TI is helping make innovative medical electronics more flexible, affordable and accessible. TI's experience in diverse markets, such as wireless communications, consumer electronics, automotive and aerospace, enables engineers to meet increasing needs for higher speeds, higher precision, lower power and smaller equipment, while maintaining the high standards for quality and reliability that the medical market demands. For more information, please visit http://www.ti.com/medical.
About Texas Instruments
Texas Instruments semiconductor innovations help 80,000 customers unlock the possibilities of the world as it could be smarter, safer, greener, healthier and more fun. Our commitment to building a better future is ingrained in everything we do from the responsible manufacturing of our semiconductors, to caring for our employees, to giving back inside our communities. This is just the beginning of our story. Learn more at www.ti.com.
All registered trademarks and other trademarks are property of their respective owners.
SOURCE Texas Instruments Incorporated