Sarepta Therapeutics Announces Recipients of the 6th Annual Route 79, The Duchenne Scholarship Program, for the 2023-2024 Academic Year
– Recipients include 20 individuals living with Duchenne muscular dystrophy and five siblings of individuals living with Duchenne
CAMBRIDGE, Mass.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Sarepta Therapeutics, Inc. (NASDAQ:SRPT), the leader in precision genetic medicine for rare diseases, today announced 25 recipients of Route 79, The Duchenne Scholarship Program for the 2023-2024 academic year. Of the 25 recipients, academic scholarships will be awarded to 20 individuals living with Duchenne muscular dystrophy and to five siblings of individuals living with Duchenne. Each recipient will receive a scholarship of up to $5,000.
“On behalf of Sarepta and the selection committee, we are proud to announce the recipients of Route 79, The Duchenne Scholarship Program, for the 2023-2024 academic year. We continue to be impressed by each applicant and this year, we selected a total of 25 exceptionally bright students with passion for growth and a strong vision for their future,” said Diane Berry, Sarepta’s Executive Vice President and Chief Global Policy & Advocacy Officer. “Each student’s essay demonstrated enthusiasm for their academic and life goals, a keen curiosity and admirable desire to learn, and the power of their own perseverance. We are honored to support this ambitious group of students and we wish them great success in their studies for the school year ahead.”
The Route 79 program was created in 2018 to recognize exceptional individuals living with Duchenne as they pursue their post-secondary education. In 2022, Sarepta expanded the program to include siblings of individuals with Duchenne in recognition of the impact that a diagnosis of Duchenne may have on the entire family. Recipients of the scholarship are chosen by an independent selection committee composed of Duchenne community members, who consider each applicant’s community involvement and personal essay. In addition to application review by the independent committee, submissions are de-identified for the voting panel with no indication of whether the candidate has received, or plans to receive, a Sarepta therapy.
2023-2024 Route 79 Scholarship Recipients
- John "Jack" Becker, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, Daytona Beach
- Christopher Cameron, Ball State University
- Jacob Colby, The Evergreen State College
- Kyle Cox, Texas A&M University
- Agranil Das, Stony Brook University
- Blake Deakin, Arizona State University
- Corbin Fanning, Texas A&M University
- Aiden Fecteau, Eastern Connecticut State University
- Yuvaraj Gambhir, University of Pennsylvania
- Declan Hickey, Curry College
- Yujia Ji, The Ohio State University
- Elliott Johnson, Lebanon Valley College
- Ryan Lugo, State University of New York at New Paltz
- Brian Madura, New Jersey Institute of Technology
- Josh Pflueger, Texas Christian University
- Jasdeep Singh, Cleveland Institute of Art
- Vedant Singhania, San Jose State University
- Connor Underwood, Pikes Peak State College
- Braden Van Eperen, Union College
- Jack Wolf, University of Akron
2023-2024 Route 79 Sibling Scholarship Recipients
- Hailey Baquiran, Dominican University of California
- Ellyn Beebe, University of Tennessee at Martin
- Isabel Dreher, University of New Hampshire
- Lance Hains, West Chester University
- Grace Lee, University of Colorado Boulder
About Route 79, The Duchenne Scholarship Program
The Route 79 program is designed to help students living with Duchenne and siblings of individuals living with Duchenne pursue their post-secondary educational goals. Scholarship recipients are chosen by an independent committee of Duchenne community members based on an applicant’s community involvement, personal essay, and recommendation letter. The underlying cause of Duchenne is a difference in the gene coding for dystrophin. Dystrophin is an essential protein that plays a pivotal role in muscle structure, function and preservation. The numerical significance of the scholarship’s name, Route 79, ties to the 79 exons of the dystrophin gene. For more information, visit sarepta.com/route79.
About Sarepta Therapeutics
Sarepta is on an urgent mission: engineer precision genetic medicine for rare diseases that devastate lives and cut futures short. We hold leadership positions in Duchenne muscular dystrophy (DMD) and limb-girdle muscular dystrophies (LGMDs), and we currently have more than 40 programs in various stages of development. Our vast pipeline is driven by our multi-platform Precision Genetic Medicine Engine in gene therapy, RNA and gene editing. For more information, please visit www.sarepta.com or follow us on Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram and Facebook.
Internet Posting of Information
We routinely post information that may be important to investors in the 'For Investors' section of our website at www.sarepta.com. We encourage investors and potential investors to consult our website regularly for important information about us.
Source: Sarepta Therapeutics, Inc.