Polyplus Transfection and Merck & Co., Inc. Sign a License and Supply Agreement for PEI-Based Transfection Reagents
Published: Oct 24, 2013
Strasbourg, France – October 24, 2013– Polyplus-transfection SA, a privately-held company developing innovative technologies for molecular and cellular biology and Merck, a leading pharmaceutical, chemical and life science company with total revenues of EUR 11.2 billion in 2012, announce today a global prior use license agreement and extended supply agreement for Polyplus-transfection’s polyethylenimine (PEI) based transfection reagents. Financial details were not disclosed.
Polyplus-transfection has granted Merck rights to the prior use of PEI for transfection. Polyplus-transfection will also supply Merck sites worldwide with batches of high quality linear PEI transfection reagent. The reagent is specifically formulated and subject to appropriate quality controls (transfection activity and microbiological tests). These ensure reliable, safe and reproducible protein production in medium to large scale. In addition, by purchasing PEI from Polyplus-transfection, Merck benefits from an implied license regarding Polyplus’ intellectual property rights for the use of PEI in transient and stable transfection for research and commercial purposes.
Merck has access to all the commercial and custom transfection reagents within the Polyplus-transfection PEI reagent portfolio. This includes PEIpr(TM), the fastest growing product within this portfolio. Launched in 2012, PEIpro has been designed for larger scale Transient Gene Expression (TGE) users that require a cost effective, fully qualified and licensed linear PEI based transfection reagent.
“Biopharmaceutical products, especially monoclonal antibodies, continue to dominate the pharmaceutical industry. As “big pharma” companies continue to invest in this sector, transfection, and particularly larger scale ‘transient gene expression’ products have become a key technology in the research and early discovery phase,” said Mark Bloomfield, CEO of Polyplus-transfection. “This deal between Polyplus and Merck, a global player in the development of biopharmaceuticals, is the latest in a series of license and supply agreements for Polyplus’ global and national pharma, bio-pharma and protein expression services companies. This latest deal provides additional confirmation of the superiority of Polyplus PEI for bioproduction and the value of our intellectual property rights and knowhow in the field of PEI-mediated nucleic acid delivery.”
About Polyplus-transfection SA
Polyplus-transfection SA is a biotechnology company that develops, markets and sells innovative solutions for the in vivo, in vitro and ex vivo delivery of nucleic acids in research, bioproduction and therapeutics. Located close to the University of Strasbourg in Eastern France, Polyplus-transfection has been ISO 9001-certified since 2002 and supplies its proprietary range of reagents for the transfection of genes, oligonucleotides and siRNA through a worldwide distributor network. Polyplus reagents are involved in a growing number of clinical trials worldwide. In addition, Polyplus-transfection holds a broad estate of patents and licenses including original methods for therapeutic siRNA delivery.
For more information, please visit the Polyplus-transfection web site at: www.polyplus-transfection.com
Merck is a leading pharmaceutical, chemical and life science company with total revenues of EUR 11.2 billion in 2012, a history that began in 1668, and a future shaped by approx. 38,000 employees in 66 countries. Its success is characterized by innovations from entrepreneurial employees. Merck's operating activities come under the umbrella of Merck KGaA, in which the Merck family holds an approximately 70 percent interest and free shareholders own the remaining approximately 30 percent. In 1917 the U.S. subsidiary Merck & Co. was expropriated and has been an independent company ever since. www.merckgroup.com
Help employers find you! Check out all the jobs and post your resume.