Novo Nordisk A/S Supports Five Madison/Milwaukee-Based Organizations in Fight Against Diabetes
Published: Jan 29, 2013
MADISON and MILWAUKEE, Wis., Jan. 29, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Novo Nordisk, a world leader in diabetes care, announced today that it has awarded nearly $100,000 in sponsorships to five Madison/Milwaukee community organizations. The Madison and Milwaukee sponsorships are part of the nationwide Novo Nordisk Community Care initiative to help rally communities to address the diabetes crisis, and support local programs designed to make an impact for people living with type 2 diabetes.
The diabetes pandemic is growing in the state of Wisconsin. According to data from a model commissioned by Novo Nordisk from the Institute of Alternative Futures, by 2015, Wisconsin is projected to have 548,200 people with diagnosed and undiagnosed diabetes. Nearly 1.5 million people are in danger of developing the disease by the same year in Wisconsin.
The organizations sponsored by Novo Nordisk Community Care are committed to making a difference in the lives of adults living with diabetes. These sponsored programs target a range of diverse communities in Madison and Milwaukee and include:
- American Diabetes Association (ADA) Wisconsin Chapter Will launch the Project POWER program, designed to increase diabetes awareness and management among African Americans
- Columbia St. Mary's Foundation To support the Under 7 Support Group, which aims to help type 2 diabetes patients (emphasizing African Americans) participating in the group maintain their blood sugar goals
- Progressive Community Health Centers Will establish a new diabetes peer support program serving the low income and medically underserved community in Milwaukee's northwest central city
- Wheaton Franciscan Will launch the Living Well program, featuring community-based education sessions and support groups that provide education and resources for those living with type 2 diabetes
- Wisconsin Institute for Healthy Aging (WIHA) To implement Stanford University's Diabetes Self-Management Program in Dane, Milwaukee, and Waukesha counties
"I commend the groups sponsored by Novo Nordisk Community Care for developing diabetes education programs for Wisconsin residents that are sustainable and have a real impact," said Tonette Walker, Wisconsin First Lady. "Only by working together can we reach those at risk to manage and control diabetes in our communities."
These organizations were honored last night at an event attended by local partners and community members. All those who attended are united in their commitment to support diabetes prevention and education, and discussed the need for action to counter the diabetes burden in Madison and Milwaukee communities.
Novo Nordisk evaluated all applications for their resourceful methods to educate and engage individuals living with type 2 diabetes, program sustainability, and impact in the Madison/Milwaukee community. Programs that received funding were considered to be the most creative, impactful, and meaningful for the community and took an innovative approach to addressing type 2 diabetes.
"Novo Nordisk is proud to partner with each of these Wisconsin organizations for their innovative approach to diabetes education in their local community," said Lori Moore, Executive Director of Communications and Public Affairs at Novo Nordisk. "It is our hope that through Community Care, Novo Nordisk can help local organizations around the country develop impactful programs that will have a lasting effect on the epidemic of type 2 diabetes."
Since 2011, Novo Nordisk Community Care has sponsored 37 diverse community-based programs and awarded nearly $735,000 to organizations in cities across the country, including Atlanta, Minneapolis, Boston, Philadelphia, Houston, Detroit, San Francisco, and Madison/Milwaukee. In these areas, the Novo Nordisk Community Care initiative aims to activate and enable organizations that are ambassadors for change in diabetes care and are making an impact in their local communities. For more information about Novo Nordisk Community Care, visit www.novonordisk-us.com/communitycare.
About Novo Nordisk
Headquartered in Denmark, Novo Nordisk is a global healthcare company with 89 years of innovation and leadership in diabetes care. The company also has leading positions within hemophilia care, growth hormone therapy, and hormone replacement therapy. For more information, visit novonordisk-us.com.
SOURCE Novo Nordisk