MedTech Color Convenes Collaborative Community on Medical Technology Diversity and Inclusion
LOS ANGELES--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- MedTech Color, a non-profit organization with a mission to advance the representation of persons of color in the medtech industry, today convened a Collaborative Community on Diversity and Inclusion in Medical Device Product Development and Clinical Research.
The MedTech Color Collaborative Community will bring together public and private stakeholders and develop targeted strategies to increase the awareness, understanding, and participation of racial and ethnic minorities in the medtech industry.
"The FDA is committed to advancing diverse participation in trials to ensure that clinical studies better reflect the populations that will ultimately benefit from new and innovative health solutions," says Jeff Shuren, M.D., J.D., director of the Center for Devices and Radiological Health at the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). "We are encouraged by MedTech Color's active efforts to develop solutions to increase participant diversity and inclusion of minority health populations. We are also pleased to have FDA liaisons from CDRH and the Office of Minority Health and Health Equity participate in this collaborative community.”
“The medical device industry is working to address the adverse impacts of bias and exclusion of racial and ethnic minorities from critical aspects of product development and research,” says Vernessa Pollard, Partner and FDA practice Leader, McDermott Will & Emery LLP and Board Member, MedTech Color, “It has never been more important to develop solutions for equitable care that start with underserved and underrepresented groups -- such as people of color and women.”
Initial goals of the Collaborative Community include:
- Increasing clinical trial enrollment participation to represent the diverse patient populations served
- Creating awareness of different disease states, prevalence rates in people of color, and symptom recognition among minority populations
- Developing solutions to recruit and retain minority physicians, researchers, and other stakeholders in research and product development
- Identifying unmet needs and advancing research on health issues unique to minorities
“We created this community to bring together the passion, resources, and experience of organizations and individuals affected by the lack of diversity within the medtech space,” says Nada Hanafi, Chief Strategy Officer, Experien Group, LLC and Board Member, MedTech Color, “We’re looking forward to expanding our incredible group of dedicated professionals in all aspects of the industry - from clinicians, device and biotech companies, patient representatives, academic partners, legal professionals, nonprofits, government agencies, etc. and more.”
The Executive Planning Committee is spearheaded by:
- Nada Hanafi, Chief Strategy Officer, Experien Group, LLC and Board Member, MedTech Color
- Vernessa Pollard, Partner and FDA practice Leader, McDermott Will & Emery and Board Member, MedTech Color
- Jaime Wheeler, Vice President of Global Clinical Affairs, THV, Edwards Lifesciences
- Kenita Barrow, Deputy General Counsel, Otsuka America Pharmaceutical, Inc.
About MedTech Color
MedTech Color is dedicated to increasing and promoting diversity and inclusion across the medtech ecosystem. Native American, Asian, Hispanic, and Black and Brown professionals and students are especially welcome and encouraged to participate. Through community building, thought leadership, and driving clinical trial enrollment of patients from under-represented groups, MedTech Color is working to increase the number of people of color who enter the medtech community and add tangible value to the medtech network. MedTech Color operates as a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, incorporated in California.
View source version on businesswire.com: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20210526005075/en/
Source: MedTech Color
View this news release online at: