McKesson Presents Innovative Solutions at ASHP Midyear Clinical Meeting
ANAHEIM, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- McKesson will showcase its clinical expertise and comprehensive suite of technology solutions at the American Society of Health-System Pharmacists (ASHP) Midyear Clinical Meeting December 2 – 6. These solutions, presented by McKesson experts, will be display and available to demo at Booth #351.
“With the continued evolution of payment models and reduced reimbursement, hospitals and health systems are increasingly looking to enhance their revenue recovery management to help control costs and increase revenue while they continue to focus on quality patient care,” said Scott Miller, president of Health Systems, McKesson. “We are committed to delivering impactful results for our customers, and we are honored ASHP is featuring a number of abstracts that highlight McKesson customers and solutions.”
Presenting innovative cost savings
ASHP will feature McKesson customers and solutions covering the following topics:
Integrating 340B into the health system pharmacy supply chain
Andy Wilson, PharmD, FASHP, vice president of 340B Solutions at McKesson, will participate in several book signings and ‘meet the author’ events promoting his 340B Program Handbook. The handbook, developed in partnership with ASHP and published in 2018, is a practical guide for pharmacy leaders, hospital administrators, business managers and pharmacy supply chain professionals implementing, maintaining or overseeing a high-performing 340B program.
Rationale and cost savings of a conversion to fluticasone-vilanterol inhaler in a large health system
Monday, December 3, 2:30 – 4:00 p.m., Hall E, lower level
Sentara Healthcare’s pharmacy department worked with McKesson to identify trends and opportunities to decrease drug spend using Spend Analytics. The review identified the inhaled corticosteroid/long-acting beta-agonist inhalers (ICS/LABA) spend as one of the top drug spends, top increasing drug spends, and was considered elevated due to the cost of the fluticasone-salmeterol discus inhalers. This prompted the customer to implement a conversion from one ICS/LABA inhaler to another, which saved them more than $656,000 in the first year.
Dose rounding policy results in significant cost savings
Tuesday, December 4, 2:30 – 4:00 p.m., Hall E, lower level
Rising drug spend requires health systems to continuously evaluate spending and implement cost savings initiatives. Kalispell Regional Medical Center worked with McKesson to evaluate the cost savings of a dose rounding policy. Cost savings were calculated by comparing the prescribed and adjusted doses. Actual acquisition costs were used to calculate savings. The dose rounding policy implemented at Kalispell Regional Medical Center resulted in more than $134,000 in savings to the hospital over six months. Based on these results, the pharmacy department plans to expand the dose rounding policy.
Demonstrating technology solutions
McKesson business and technology solutions featured at ASHP include:
- McKesson RxO® will highlight improved financial and operational outcomes through its evidence-based programs, products and services including pharmacy revenue cycle analysis and indigent drug recovery solutions. Supply chain management solutions include revenue generation and recovery solutions that leverage data and help pharmacies make better decisions to support patient care.
- McKesson High Volume Solutions® will feature its custom central fill solutions including the unique financing model, CFaaS® (Central Fill as a Service), which allows outpatient pharmacies to realize the benefits of central fill for a small per-script fee that is lower than their current cost to fill.
- Macro Helix, a McKesson company, will feature solutions to help covered entities maximize 340B program participation with industry-leading software and services that target the operational, financial and regulatory complexities to maintain compliance, ensure reimbursement and help health systems improve patient access to affordable healthcare.
- McKesson Pharmacy Systems will provide live demos of the EnterpriseRx® pharmacy management system and its integrated Patient Engagement and Clinical Solutions. The centralized pharmacy management system can help simplify workflow, and, with Clinical Programs Solution™, allow users to add pre-configured or custom programs to help improve patient outcomes and maximize operational and clinical performance.
- PipelineRx®, a McKesson Ventures-backed portfolio company, will highlight its expanded strategy to achieve integrated medication management across care settings. The company’s Patient Discharge Solution empowers pharmacists to improve access and adherence to medication protocols after discharge, which can improve patient outcomes and decrease preventable readmissions.
About McKesson Corporation
McKesson Corporation, currently ranked 6th on the FORTUNE 500, is a global leader in healthcare supply chain management solutions, retail pharmacy, community oncology and specialty care, and healthcare information technology. McKesson partners with pharmaceutical manufacturers, providers, pharmacies, governments and other organizations in healthcare to help provide the right medicines, medical products and healthcare services to the right patients at the right time, safely and cost-effectively. United by our ICARE shared principles, our employees work every day to innovate and deliver opportunities that make our customers and partners more successful — all for the better health of patients. McKesson has been named the “Most Admired Company” in the healthcare wholesaler category by FORTUNE, a “Best Place to Work” by the Human Rights Campaign Foundation, and a top military-friendly company by Military Friendly. For more information, visit www.mckesson.com.
© 2018 McKesson Corporation and/or one of its subsidiaries. This release may be freely republished, with attribution, in whole or in part.
Kristen Kouk, Public Relations
T 972.446.5788 email@example.com
Source: McKesson Corporation