Jazz Pharmaceuticals Announces Second Quarter 2012 Results
Published: Aug 08, 2012
DUBLIN, Aug. 7, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Jazz Pharmaceuticals plc (Nasdaq: JAZZ) today announced financial results for the second quarter ended June 30, 2012. These results include the first complete quarter of financial results following the Azur Pharma plc merger, as well as a partial month of results following completion of the acquisition of EUSA Pharma Inc. on June 12, 2012. Results for 2011 reflect only the financial results reported by Jazz Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
"The first six months of 2012 have been a time of tremendous progress for Jazz Pharmaceuticals as we've delivered strong organic sales growth led by Xyrem® and completed two important transactions. The Azur and EUSA acquisitions added attractive new products to our portfolio, brought increased depth to our team and expanded our geographic footprint," said Bruce Cozadd, chairman and chief executive officer of Jazz Pharmaceuticals. "We are particularly pleased by our year-over-year and sequential growth in adjusted net income, and we remain committed to our strategy of increasing sales of our current products, growing our product portfolio through corporate development and investing in focused development programs."
Adjusted net income for the second quarter of 2012 was $66.2 million, or $1.09 per diluted share, reflecting both strong organic growth and the positive impact of the Azur Pharma and EUSA Pharma acquisitions. GAAP net income for the second quarter of 2012 was impacted by various non-recurring acquisition-related expenses and non-cash amortization expenses. For the quarter, GAAP net income was $27.1 million, or $0.45 per diluted share. A reconciliation of GAAP net income to adjusted net income and the related per diluted share amounts is included with this press release.
Revenues and Product Sales
Total revenues for the quarter ended June 30, 2012 were $129.5 million, including net sales, royalties and contract revenues.
Total net sales for the second quarter of 2012 increased to $128.3 million, driven by significant growth in Xyrem (sodium oxybate) oral solution net sales, as well as the addition of net sales from the expanded product portfolio resulting from the merger with Azur Pharma and a partial month of sales of Erwinaze® (asparaginase Erwinia chrysanthemi) and other products from the EUSA Pharma acquisition.
Net sales for the second quarter of 2012 included:
- Xyrem: Net sales of Xyrem increased by 59% to $89.1 million for the second quarter of 2012, compared to net sales of $56.2 million in the second quarter of 2011. During the second quarter of 2012, approximately 9,850 patients were on active therapy with Xyrem.
- Erwinaze/Erwinase: Worldwide net sales of Erwinaze/Erwinase were $6.0 million, reflecting results for the partial month following the completion of the EUSA Pharma acquisition. For the full quarter, pro forma net sales were $32.9 million.
- Psychiatry Products: Net sales of the company's psychiatry products, including once-daily Luvox CR® (fluvoxamine maleate), FazaClo® (clozapine, USP) HD and FazaClo LD, were $19.8 million for the second quarter of 2012. Net sales of Luvox CR increased 44% compared to the second quarter of 2011. On a pro forma basis, total net sales of the FazaClo products were down 1% while the proportion of FazaClo HD sales increased from 20% to 36% compared to the prior year quarter.
- Prialt: Second quarter 2012 net sales of Prialt® (ziconotide) intrathecal infusion were $5.6 million, an increase of 12% from the prior year quarter on a pro forma basis.
- Other: Net sales of other products for the second quarter of 2012 were $7.9 million.
Other Financial Highlights
Additional financial information for the second quarter of 2012 includes:
- Cost of product sales increased by $12.0 million compared to the second quarter of 2011 due to higher sales and $4.0 million of purchase accounting inventory fair value step-up.
- Selling, general and administrative expenses increased by $38.5 million compared to the prior year quarter, primarily due to the inclusion of Azur Pharma and EUSA Pharma operations, and transaction and integration expenses of $10.6 million related to these acquisitions. Jazz Pharmaceuticals currently has approximately 650 employees worldwide.
- Intangible asset amortization for the second quarter of 2012 was $15.8 million, related primarily to the company's expanded product portfolio.
- Jazz Pharmaceuticals financed the majority of the EUSA Pharma acquisition with a $475 million term loan. The company's cash and cash equivalents totaled $154.5 million at June 30, 2012.
2012 Financial Guidance
Jazz Pharmaceuticals is also providing the following updated financial guidance for 2012, which reflects the EUSA Pharma acquisition and expected results from and after June 12, 2012: