IntelGenx Reports Second Quarter 2018 Financial Results
Published: Aug 09, 2018 By GLOBE NEWSWIRE
SAINT LAURENT, Quebec, Aug. 09, 2018 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- IntelGenx Technologies Corp. (TSX-V:IGX) (OTCQX:IGXT) (the “Company” or “IntelGenx”) today reported financial results for the second quarter ended June 30, 2018. All dollar amounts are expressed in U.S. currency and results are reported in accordance with United States generally accepted accounting principles except where noted otherwise.
2018 Second Quarter Financial Highlights:
- Total revenue was $234,000, which reflected decreases in deferred revenues on monetization of $915,000.
- Negative adjusted EBITDA was ($1.9 million), compared to negative adjusted EBITDA of ($390,000) in the same period last year.
- Cash and short-term investments totalled $3.7 million as at June 30, 2018.
- Received a Notice of Allowance from the Canadian Intellectual Property Office for the Company’s Canadian Patent Application Number 2,998,223 entitled “Loxapine Film Oral Dosage Form”, covering the use of loxapine in an oral transmucosal film for the treatment of schizophrenia or bipolar 1 disorder. This was the Company’s first patent allowed in Canada and the first Canadian patent for its VersaFilm™ technology.
- Announced that the European Patent Office issued a “Notice of Intention to Grant” for the Company’s European Patent Application Number 14832172.2 entitled, “Instantly Wettable Oral Film Dosage Form Without Surfactant or Polyalcohol.” This was the first key patent allowed in Europe for the Company’s VersaFilm™ technology and covers the formulation of its Rizaport® product.
- Announced the publication of a peer-reviewed paper in the March 2018 issue of Alzheimer's & Dementia: The Journal of the Alzheimer's Association, which highlighted one of the most significant unmet medical needs that may be addressed by IntelGenx’s Montelukast VersaFilm™ product candidate.
- Announced the settlement of all Subxone® patent litigation between the Company, Par Pharmaceutical, Inc., Indivior UK Limited and Aquestive Therapeutics, Inc.
“The advancement of our product pipeline toward commercialization continued to be a key priority in the 2018 second quarter,” commented Dr. Horst G. Zerbe, President and CEO of IntelGenx. “To that end, we were pleased that two patent allowances - one in Canada and the other in Europe – imparted protection for our proprietary VersaFilm™ technology platform in those jurisdications for the first time, providing additional validation of the innovative work being carried out by our talented R&D team. More recently, we were also excited to learn from our Spanish marketing partner, Grupo Juste (now Exeltis Healthcare), that the Committee for Medicinal Products for Human Use has included RIZAPORT® in the list of medicines within the Informative Note from its July 2018 meeting, one of the final steps needed before marketing authorization can be obtained from the Spanish Agency of Medicines and Medical Devices.”
Total revenues for the three-month period ended June 30, 2018 amounted to $234,000, compared to $1.1 million for the three-month period ended June 30, 2017. The decrease for the three-month period ended June 30, 2018 compared to last year’s corresponding period is mainly attributable to a decrease in deferred revenues on monetization of $915,000.
Operating costs and expenses were $2.4 million for the second quarter ended June 30, 2018, versus $1.7 million for the corresponding quarter in 2017. The increase for the three-month period ended June 30, 2018 is mainly attributable to a $203,000 increase in Research and Development expenses and a $496,000 increase in Selling, General and Administrative expenses.
For the second quarter ended June 30, 2018, the Company had an operating loss of $2.1 million, compared to an operating loss of $613,000 for the comparable period of 2017.
Net comprehensive loss was $2.4 million, or $0.04 on a basic and diluted per share basis, for the three-month period ended June 30, 2018, compared to a net comprehensive loss of $550,000, or $0.01 on a basic and diluted per share basis, for the comparable period of 2017.
As of June 30, 2018, the Company’s cash and short-term investments totalled $3.7 million.
Conference Call Details:
IntelGenx will host a conference call to discuss its second quarter 2018 financial results today, Aug 9, 2018, at 4:30 p.m. ET. The dial-in number for the conference call is (833) 231-8269 (Canada and United States) or (647) 689-4114 (International), conference ID 5888143. The call will also be webcast live and archived for twelve months at www.intelgenx.com.
Established in 2003, IntelGenx is a leading oral drug delivery company primarily focused on the development and manufacturing of innovative pharmaceutical oral films based on its proprietary VersaFilm™ technology platform.
IntelGenx's highly skilled team provides comprehensive pharmaceuticals services to pharmaceutical partners, including R&D, analytical method development, clinical monitoring, IP and regulatory services. IntelGenx's state-of-the-art manufacturing facility, established for the VersaFilm™ technology platform, supports lab-scale to pilot and commercial-scale production, offering full service capabilities to its clients. More information about the company can be found at www.intelgenx.com.
Forward Looking Statements:
This document may contain forward-looking information about IntelGenx's operating results and business prospects that involve substantial risks and uncertainties. Statements that are not purely historical are forward-looking statements within the meaning of Section 21E of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, as amended, and Section 27A of the Securities Act of 1933, as amended. These statements include, but are not limited to, statements about IntelGenx's plans, objectives, expectations, strategies, intentions or other characterizations of future events or circumstances and are generally identified by the words "may," "expects," "anticipates," "intends," "plans," "believes," "seeks," "estimates," "could," "would," and similar expressions. All forward looking statements are expressly qualified in their entirety by this cautionary statement. Because these forward-looking statements are subject to a number of risks and uncertainties, IntelGenx' actual results could differ materially from those expressed or implied by these forward-looking statements. Factors that could cause or contribute to such differences include, but are not limited to, those discussed under the heading "Risk Factors" in IntelGenx's annual report on Form 10-K, filed with the United States Securities and Exchange Commission and available at www.sec.gov, and also filed with Canadian securities regulatory authorities at www.sedar.com. IntelGenx assumes no obligation to update any such forward-looking statements.
Each of the TSX Venture Exchange and OTCQX has neither approved nor disapproved the contents of this press release. Neither TSX Venture Exchange nor its Regulation Services Provider (as that term is defined in the policies of the TSX Venture Exchange) accepts responsibility for the adequacy or accuracy of this release.
Source: IntelGenx Technologies Corp.
For more information, please contact: Stephen Kilmer Investor Relations (514) 331-7440 ext 232 firstname.lastname@example.org Or Andre Godin, CPA, CA Executive Vice-President and CFO IntelGenx Corp. (514) 331-7440 ext 203 email@example.com