Heron Therapeutics Announces Financial Results for the Three and Twelve Months Ended December 31, 2017 and Recent Corporate Progress
Recent Corporate Progress
- SUSTOL® Sales. Net product sales of SUSTOL (granisetron) extended-release injection for the three months ended December 31, 2017 were $10.1 million, up 17% from the net product sales for the three months ended September 30, 2017 of $8.6 million. SUSTOL net product sales for the twelve months ended December 31, 2017 were $30.8 million, versus guidance of $25 million to $30 million.
- 2018 CINV Sales Guidance. Net product sales guidance for full-year 2018 for the CINV franchise is $60 million to $70 million.
- Permanent J-Code Now Effective. On January 1, 2018, a product-specific billing code, or permanent J-code, for SUSTOL became available. The new J-code was assigned by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) and will help simplify the billing and reimbursement process for prescribers of SUSTOL.
- CINVANTI™ Now Available. In November 2017, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved the Company’s New Drug Application (NDA) for CINVANTI (aprepitant) injectable emulsion, the first and only polysorbate 80-free intravenous (IV) formulation of a neurokinin-1 (NK1) receptor antagonist indicated for the prevention of acute and delayed CINV. CINVANTI became commercially available in the United States on January 4, 2018.
Pain Management Franchise
- Enrollment Complete in Phase 3 Pivotal Trials for HTX-011 in Postoperative Pain. Heron completed enrollment in its two pivotal Phase 3 efficacy studies in bunionectomy and hernia repair. Heron anticipates reporting top-line results in the first half of 2018 and expects to file an NDA with the FDA in the second half of 2018.
“2017 was an excellent year for Heron, with significant progress in both our CINV and pain management franchises,” said Barry D. Quart, Pharm.D., Chief Executive Officer of Heron. “2018 should be an equally exciting year as we look forward to reporting top-line pivotal Phase 3 data and filing an NDA for HTX-011, while continuing to ramp up net product sales for our CINV franchise.”
Net product sales of SUSTOL for the three and twelve months ended December 31, 2017 were $10.1 million and $30.8 million, respectively. Heron commenced commercial sales of SUSTOL in October 2016. Net product sales of SUSTOL for both the three and twelve months ended December 31, 2016 were $1.3 million.
Heron’s net loss for the three and twelve months ended December 31, 2017 was $62.5 million and $197.5 million, or $1.09 per share and $3.65 per share, respectively, compared to a net loss of $48.0 million and $173.1 million, or $1.22 per share and $4.56 per share, respectively, for the same periods in 2016. Net loss for the three and twelve months ended December 31, 2017 included non-cash, stock-based compensation expense of $6.9 million and $30.5 million, respectively, compared to $7.3 million and $26.0 million, respectively, for the same periods in 2016.
As of December 31, 2017, Heron had $172.4 million in cash, cash equivalents and short-term investments, which included net proceeds of $142.6 million from an underwritten public offering of common stock completed in December 2017. Net cash used for operating activities for the three and twelve months ended December 31, 2017 was $47.1 million and $170.3 million, respectively, compared to net cash used for operating activities of $38.5 million and $134.1 million, respectively, for the same periods in 2016.