Genethon Receives the 2012 Galien Prize for its Innovative Treatments in Gene Therapy
Published: Oct 04, 2012
Frédéric Revah, Chief Executive Officer of Généthon, said "This prestigious prize, awarded to a laboratory created by a patient association and funded by public generosity, confirms the incontestable role of Généthon as world leader in the field of gene therapy, and recognizes its major contribution to medicine in general and to the treatment of rare diseases specifically."
Laurence Tiennot-Herment, Chairman of the AFM-Téléthon and of Généthon, said "I would like to dedicate this prize to the donors and partners of the Téléthon who have supported Généthon since its inception and who have made possible its development. Without them this incredible adventure never could have happened. Thanks to their continued support we have tackled the most audacious challenges, from producing the first maps of the human genome to the production today of medicines using gene therapy."
Following its inception in the 90's, Généthon was recognized for creating the first maps of the human genome which immediately were made available to the world scientific community. Généthon also made history in gene therapy with major breakthroughs which included exon-skipping by AAV, the first gene therapy treatment of a neuromuscular disease (gamma sarcoglycanopathy) and the first trans-Atlantic (France/England/USA) multicenter, gene therapy clinical trial in immunodeficiency. To respond to the needs of production, Généthon has evolved and now has the largest bio-production center in the world for gene therapy products suitable for use in humans, Généthon-Bioprod. This facility is unique and essential to respond to the needs of researchers conducting human trials for rare diseases. The creation of Généthon-Bioprod has transformed Généthon which now has moved from the age of research into the age of pre-industrialization.
Invitation to the Press
Thursday 18 October from 10h00 à 13h30, in Evry -France
Come discover Généthon and Généthon Bioprod
- More than 200 researchers, doctors, pharmacists, engineers and medical and regulatory specialists,...
- 10,000 m2 of laboratories.
- R&D teams dedicated to the discovery, preclinical and clinical development of gene therapy treatments for rare diseases, as well as bio-manufacturing and process development.
- The world's largest-capacity manufacturing center for gene therapy products under GMP (good manufacturing practices): 5,000 m2 dedicated to bio-manufacturing and quality control.
- The largest collection of DNA and cells in Europe for rare genetic diseases: 236,000 samples from 73,000 patients covering 413 maladies.
Généthon/AFM-Téléthon : Anne-Sophie Midol, Stéphanie Bardon, Géraldine Broudin - Tél : 01.69.47.28.59 / 12.78 - 06.45.15.95.87 / firstname.lastname@example.org
ALIZE RP :
Caroline Carmagnol - Mobile: +33 664 189 959 / Tél.: +33 142 688 643 / email@example.com
Christian Berg - Tel.: + 33 142 688 641 / firstname.lastname@example.org