Avastin to Remain Leader in the Colorectal Cancer Drugs Market | GlobalData PlcRoche’s anti-angiogenesis drug Avastin (bevacizumab) has held a dominant position in the CRC market for many years
LONDON, July 14, 2022 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- The “Colorectal Cancer – Global Drug Forecast and Market Analysis to 2028” market research report offered by GlobalData provides an overview of metastatic colorectal cancer including epidemiology, etiology, pathophysiology, symptoms, diagnosis, and treatment guidelines. Additionally, the report analyses topline metastatic colorectal cancer market revenue, annual cost of therapy, and major pipeline product sales in the forecast period.
The sales of CRC therapeutics totaled $7.6 billion in 2018 in the 8MM. The CRC market is anticipated to experience moderate growth at a CAGR of more than 3% by 2028. The global market growth is driven by the anticipated approval and launch of 9 pipeline therapies and label expansion of other agents. The US market will remain the largest market in this space, largely due to the rapid acceptance and reimbursement of premium-priced therapies.
Colorectal Cancer Market Drivers
- A growing aging population, which will increase the number of incident cases of CRC
- High ACOT of new therapies, partially due to an increase in treatment duration, is attributed to improvements in drug efficacy that extend progression-free survival
- Decreasing patient share of cheap, generic chemotherapies, with shares shifting towards expensive branded agents
- The high price of biosimilars with relatively low rates of substitution
- Launch of first BRAF/MEK/EGFR triplet combination for BRAF V600-mutated mCRC patients
Colorectal Cancer Market - Key Highlights
- Avastin to remain leader despite competition from novel mechanisms of action
- Unmet need will remain for the identification of new targets and biomarkers of response
- CRC pipeline moving towards precision medicine in both the early and metastatic setting
- The CRC market is expected to grow due to the incorporation of nine late-stage pipeline agents among the 8MM.
Colorectal Cancer Market - Unmet Needs and Opportunities Assessment
The greatest unmet need within mCRC is the lack of treatment options for RAS-mutated patients. Currently, the majority of patients, particularly RAS mutated patients, receive a limited repertoire of six cytotoxic chemotherapies and anti-angiogenesis agents. Patients can quickly become refractory to treatments, leaving physicians with no other treatment options. Therefore, understanding and overcoming mechanisms of resistance, specifically to anti-angiogenesis and anti-EGFR therapy, is a significant unmet need in CRC. Opportunity remains for novel targeted agents to gain a prime position in the mCRC market if they can be developed for RAS-mutated patients.
Colorectal Cancer Market - PipelineAssessment
Companies typically target later-lines of treatment, which afford shorter duration times for trials and lower regulatory hurdles due to a higher unmet need. Several pipeline agents are positioned as third or fourth-line treatment options in mCRC. However, this setting is more competitive since the approval of Stivarga and Lonsurf, which are now the SOC for patients who progress after second-line treatment in the US and EU.
Colorectal Cancer Market -Competitive Landscape
Roche is still regarded as the leading pharmaceutical company within the mCRC market based mostly on the strong performance of Avastin, the company’s major asset. Roche is expected to remain a strong player in the mCRC market due to physicians’ familiarity with Avastin and the slow erosion expected from bevacizumab biosimilars, as seen in other markets with biosimilar availability.
Leading Companies in the Colorectal Cancer Market
- Eli Lilly
- Bristol-Myers Squibb
- Merck KGaA
- Merck & Co
Colorectal Cancer Market Report Scope
- Overview of metastatic colorectal cancer including epidemiology, etiology, pathophysiology, symptoms, diagnosis, and treatment guidelines.
- Topline metastatic colorectal cancer market revenue, annual cost of therapy, and major pipeline product sales in the forecast period.
- Key topics covered include current treatment and pipeline therapies, unmet needs and opportunities, and the drivers and barriers affecting metastatic colorectal cancer therapeutics sales in the 8MM.
- Pipeline analysis: Comprehensive data split across different phases, emerging novel trends under development, and detailed analysis of late-stage pipeline drugs.
- Analysis of the current and future market competition in the global metastatic colorectal cancer therapeutics market. Insightful review of the key industry drivers, restraints and challenges. Each trend is independently researched to provide qualitative analysis of its implications.
Reasons to Buy
- Develop and design your in-licensing and out-licensing strategies, using a detailed overview of current pipeline products and technologies to identify companies with the most robust pipelines.
- Develop business strategies by understanding the trends shaping and driving the global metastatic colorectal cancer therapeutics market.
- Drive revenues by understanding the key trends, innovative products and technologies, market segments, and companies likely to impact the global metastatic colorectal cancer cancer market in the future.
- Formulate effective sales and marketing strategies by understanding the competitive landscape and by analyzing the performance of various competitors.
- Identify emerging players with potentially strong product portfolios and create effective counter-strategies to gain a competitive advantage.
- Track drug sales in the global metastatic colorectal cancer therapeutics market from 2018-2028.
- Organize your sales and marketing efforts by identifying the market categories and segments that present maximum opportunities for consolidations, investments and strategic partnerships.
- Sjogrens Syndrome Marketed and Pipeline Drugs Assessment, Clinical Trials and Competitive Landscape – Click here
- Nicotinamide Phosphoribosyltransferase (Visfatin or Pre B Cell Colony Enhancing Factor 1 or NAMPT or EC 22.214.171.124) Drugs in Development by Therapy Areas and Indications, Stages, MoA, RoA, Molecule Type and Key Players, 2022 Update – Click here
- Metastatic Melanoma Clinical Trial Analysis by Trial Phase, Trial Status, Trial Counts, End Points, Status, Sponsor Type, and Top Countries, 2022 Update – Click here
- Electronic Health Records (EHRs) – Analyzing Trends, Technologies, Physicians’ Adoption and Perceptions, Use Barriers and Opportunities, and Future Prospects – Click here
- Waldenstrom Macroglobulinemia (WM) Marketed and Pipeline Drugs Assessment, Clinical Trials and Competitive Landscape – Click here
Colorectal Cancer Market Overview
|Market Size 2018||$7.6 billion|
|Leading Companies||Roche, Amgen, Eli Lilly, Bayer, Bristol-Myers Squibb, Merck KGaA, Merck & Co, Novartis, Pfizer, Sanofi, and Taiho|
What was the colorectal cancer market size in 2018?
The CRC market size was valued at $7.6 billion in 2018.
What is the colorectal cancer market growth rate?
The CRC market is expected to grow at a CAGR of more than 3% during the forecast period.
Which are the leading companies in the colorectal cancer market?
The leading companies in the CRC market are Roche, Amgen, Eli Lilly, Bayer, Bristol-Myers Squibb, Merck KGaA, Merck & Co, Novartis, Pfizer, Sanofi, and Taiho.
Table of Contents
1 Table of Contents
1.1 List of Tables
1.2 List of Figures
2 Colorectal Cancer: Executive Summary
2.1 CRC Market is Expected to Grow to $10.7B in 2028
2.2 Avastin to Remain Leader despiteCompetition from Novel Mechanisms of Action
2.3 Unmet Need Will Remain for the Identification of New Targets and Biomarkers of Response
2.4 CRC Pipeline Moving Towards Precision Medicine in Both the Early and Metastatic Setting
2.5 What Do Physicians Think?
3.2 Related Reports
3.3 Upcoming Related Reports
4 Disease Overview
4.1 Etiology and Pathophysiology
4.2 Classification or Staging Systems for CRC
4.3 Clinical Presentation
5.1 Disease Background
5.2 Risk Factors and Comorbidities
5.3 Global and Historical Trends
5.4 Forecast Methodology
5.4.1 Sources Used
5.4.2 Sources Not Used
5.4.3 Forecast Assumptions and Methods
5.5 Epidemiological Forecast for CRC
5.5.1 Diagnosed Incident Cases of CRC
5.5.2 Age-Specific Diagnosed Incident Cases of CRC
5.5.3 Sex-Specific Diagnosed Incident Cases of CRC
5.5.4 Diagnosed Incident Cases of CRC by Stage at Diagnosis
5.5.5 Diagnosed Incident Cases of CRC by Molecular Markers
5.5.6 Diagnosed Incident Cases of CRC by Population with Curable Synchronous Liver Metastasis
5.5.7 Diagnosed Incident Cases of CRC by Sidedness
5.5.8 Five-Year Diagnosed Prevalent Cases of CRC
5.5.9 All-Time Diagnosed Prevalent Cases of CRC
5.6.1 Epidemiological Forecast Insight
5.6.2 Limitations of the Analysis
5.6.3 Strengths of the Analysis
6 Disease Management
6.1 Screening and Diagnosis
6.1.2 Fecal Testing
6.1.4 Flexible Sigmoidoscopy
6.1.5 Computed Tomography Colonography
6.1.6 Recent and Emerging Advances
6.2 Treatment Guidelines
6.3 Clinical Practice
6.4.2 Treatment Pathways
6.4.3 Biomarker Testing
6.5.2 Treatment Pathways
6.5.3 Biomarker Testing
6.6.2 Treatment Pathways
6.6.3 Biomarker Testing
6.7 China (Urban)
6.7.2 Treatment Pathways
6.7.3 Biomarker Testing
7 Competitive Assessment
8 Unmet Needs and Opportunity Assessment
8.2 Improved Treatments for Patients with KRAS/NRAS Mutations
8.3 Continued Improvement in Precision Medicine
8.4 Reducing Age for Routine Screening
8.5 Overcoming Resistance to Angiogenesis and EGFR-Targeting Therapy
9 Pipeline Assessment
9.2 Promising Drugs in Clinical Development
10 Current and Future Players
10.2 Trends in Corporate Strategy
10.5 Eli Lilly
10.7 Bristol-Myers Squibb
10.8 Merck KGaA
10.9 Merck & Co.
11 Market Outlook
11.1 Global Markets
11.1.2 Drivers and Barriers – Global Issues
11.2.2 Key Events
11.2.3 Drivers and Barriers
11.3.2 Key Events
11.3.3 Drivers and Barriers
11.4.2 Key Events
11.4.3 Drivers and Barriers
11.5.2 Key Events
11.5.3 Drivers and Barriers
12.3.1 Forecasting Methodology
12.3.2 Diagnosed Patients
12.3.3 Drugs Included in Each Therapeutic Class
12.3.4 Launch and Patent Expiry Dates
12.3.5 General Pricing Assumptions
12.3.6 Individual Drug Assumptions for Marketed Products
12.3.7 Individual Drug Assumptions for Off-Label Products
12.3.8 Generic Erosion
12.3.9 Pricing of Pipeline Agents
12.4 Primary Research – Key Opinion Leaders Interviewed for This Report
12.5 Primary Research – Prescriber Survey
12.6 About the Authors
12.6.2 Therapy Area Director
12.6.4 Epidemiology Reviewers
12.6.5 Global Director of Therapy Analysis and Epidemiology
12.6.6 Global Head and EVP of Healthcare Operations and Strategy
12.7 About GlobalData
12.8 Contact Us
GlobalData is a leading provider of data, analytics, and insights on the world's largest industries. In an increasingly fast-moving, complex, and uncertain world, it has never been harder for organizations and decision makers to predict and navigate the future. This is why GlobalData's mission is to help our clients to decode the future and profit from faster, more informed decisions. As a leading information services company, thousands of clients rely on GlobalData for trusted, timely, and actionable intelligence. Our solutions are designed to provide a daily edge to professionals within corporations, financial institutions, professional services, and government agencies.
Head of PR EMEA
+44 (0)207 936 6400