Anika Therapeutics Reports Strong Second Quarter 2017 Financial Results
Published: Jul 27, 2017
BEDFORD, Mass.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Anika Therapeutics, Inc. (NASDAQ: ANIK), a global, integrated orthopedic medicines company specializing in therapeutics based on its proprietary hyaluronic acid (“HA”) technology, today reported financial results for the second quarter ended June 30, 2017, along with business progress in the period.
“Anika delivered strong double-digit revenue and earnings growth in the second quarter of 2017, driven primarily by very robust demand for MONOVISC worldwide,” said Charles H. Sherwood, Ph.D., President and Chief Executive Officer. “MONOVISC U.S. end-user revenue increased 56% year-over-year in the second quarter, and exceeded our expectations for the quarter. We also made significant progress executing our global expansion strategy, as evidenced by international Orthobiologics revenue growth of 50% year-over-year for the quarter. Additionally, CINGAL continued to gain momentum in Canada and Europe, and we made considerable progress enrolling patients in our supplemental Phase III trial of CINGAL during the quarter.”
Second Quarter Financial Results
- Total revenue for the second quarter of 2017 increased 26% year-over-year to $33.5 million, compared to $26.6 million for the second quarter of 2016. Total revenue for the second quarter of 2017 included $5.0 million in milestone revenue earned as a result of MONOVISC achieving $100 million in U.S. end-user sales within a consecutive 12-month period ending in June 2017.
- Product revenue for the second quarter of 2017 increased 7% year-over-year to $28.3 million, compared to $26.6 million for the second quarter of 2016. Worldwide Orthobiologics revenue grew 5% year-over-year in the second quarter of 2017. The main driver of this product revenue growth was an increase in global MONOVISC revenue of 22% year-over-year in the second quarter of 2017, which was partially offset by a decline in ORTHOVISC revenue in the same period.
- International Orthobiologics revenue increased 50% year-over-year for the second quarter of 2017, due primarily to the global expansion of MONOVISC, as well as growth of CINGAL in Canada and Europe. Domestically, ORTHOVISC and MONOVISC continue to maintain a combined market leading position.
- Total operating expenses for the second quarter of 2017 were $15.7 million, compared to $13.1 million for the second quarter of 2016. The increase in total operating expenses was due primarily to higher research and development spending required to advance the Company’s product pipeline, expanded operational efforts, and increased professional service fees.
- Net income for the second quarter of 2017 increased 32% to $11.4 million, or $0.76 per diluted share, compared to $8.6 million, or $0.57 per diluted share, for the second quarter of 2016. The increase in net income was due primarily to an increase in total revenue.
Recent Business Highlights
The Company made key commercial, operational, pipeline, and financial advancements, including:
- Completing all site qualification activities and enrolling approximately 30 patients for the Company’s supplemental Phase III trial evaluating the efficacy and safety of CINGAL, its novel HA-corticosteroid combination viscosupplement for the treatment of symptoms associated with osteoarthritis (OA) of the knee. The Company expects to complete patient enrollment by the end of 2017.
- Publishing results from the Company’s original Phase III trial of CINGAL in the peer-reviewed journal Cartilage. The data demonstrated that CINGAL provided improved immediate and short term pain relief after injection as compared to HA alone, and enhanced relief from OA-related pain, stiffness and function through 26 weeks as compared to saline.
- Receiving regulatory approval for MONOVISC in India for the treatment of pain associated with osteoarthritis of all human synovial joints. The Company plans to expand into India, Australia, and New Zealand over the next six to nine months.
- Advancing its product pipeline with continued progress on enrolling patients in the FastTRACK Phase III HYALOFAST Study for cartilage repair, as well as the Phase III MONOVISC study for the treatment of osteoarthritis pain in the hip.
- Progressing the consolidation of the Company’s global manufacturing operations at Anika’s Bedford, Massachusetts corporate headquarters. The Company also opened its new European headquarters and surgical training center in Padova, Italy.
Conference Call Information
Anika’s management will hold a conference call and webcast to discuss its financial results and business highlights tomorrow, Thursday, July 27th at 9:00 am ET. The conference call can be accessed by dialing 1-855-468-0611 (toll-free domestic) or 1-484-756-4332 (international). A live audio webcast will be available in the "Investor Relations" section of Anika’s website, www.anikatherapeutics.com. An accompanying slide presentation may also be accessed via the Anika website. A replay of the webcast will be available on Anika’s website approximately two hours after the completion of the event.
About Anika Therapeutics, Inc.
Anika Therapeutics, Inc. (NASDAQ: ANIK) is a global, integrated orthopedic medicines company based in Bedford, Massachusetts. Anika is committed to improving the lives of patients with degenerative orthopedic diseases and traumatic conditions with clinically meaningful therapies along the continuum of care, from palliative pain management to regenerative cartilage repair. The Company has over two decades of global expertise developing, manufacturing, and commercializing more than 20 products based on its proprietary hyaluronic acid (HA) technology. Anika's orthopedic medicine portfolio includes ORTHOVISC®, MONOVISC®, and CINGAL®, which alleviate pain and restore joint function by replenishing depleted HA, and HYALOFAST®, a solid HA-based scaffold to aid cartilage repair and regeneration. For more information about Anika, please visit www.anikatherapeutics.com.