Abbott Nutrition Introduces Ensure Clear(TM) to Help Adults Fill Dietary Gaps
Published: Jun 05, 2012
ABBOTT PARK, Ill., June 5, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- (NYSE: ABT) -- As an alternate option to its traditional shakes, Abbott is introducing new Ensure Clear, a fruit-flavored nutrition beverage available in peach and blueberry pomegranate flavors. Ensure Clear offers three times more protein than juice(2) and 21 essential vitamins and minerals to help adults looking to fill dietary gaps.
For nearly 40 years, Ensure products have been trusted to provide targeted and balanced nutrition to supplement dietary needs. Research shows that oral nutritional supplements, like Ensure®, provide many benefits including helping adults to get and stay healthy through improved nutrition. One serving of Ensure Clear, when combined with a healthy diet, can help Americans meet the daily recommended levels of certain nutrients including vitamins A, D, E, and K, that many are lacking(3), while offering nine grams of protein to support the maintenance of muscle.
- Data from the "What We Eat in America" study(3) shows that Americans are getting insufficient levels of key vitamins from their food including:
- 93 percent of adults don't obtain enough vitamin E which is an important antioxidant that supports overall immune health.
- 44 percent of adults don't obtain enough vitamin A which supports skin and eye health.
- 31 percent of adults are deficient in vitamin C from food; this antioxidant is important for growth and repair of tissues in the body.
- Less than three percent of adults aged 50 and older obtain enough vitamin D; this vitamin supports bone and muscle health.
- Ensure Clear is a fat-free nutritional drink and an excellent source of important antioxidants, vitamins C, E and selenium. It also has three times more protein than leading apple or orange juices.(4)
- Ensure Clear is a good option for gluten-free and lactose intolerant diets(5) as well as a suitable choice for those on clear liquid diets.
- Available in great-tasting blueberry pomegranate and peach flavors, Ensure Clear offers a refreshing drink option to traditional shakes.
- Ensure Clear is available at retailers nationwide in four-packs of 10 fluid-ounce bottles.
Commentary on Proper Nutrition and Ensure Clear:
From Christine Steele, Ph.D., director, Science, Innovation & Education, Abbott:
"Nutrition is critical at every life stage and especially for older adults to support healthy muscle, organs and immune function to help defend against age-related conditions and illnesses. Yet, many adults don't eat an adequate diet and consume all the essential nutrients and protein. Our nutrition scientists developed Ensure Clear to provide a shake alternative and a balance of important nutrients and protein to help adults reach the recommended daily intake levels."
Where to Buy Ensure Clear:
Ensure Clear nutritional drinks are available in four-packs of 10-fluid-ounce bottles for a suggested retail price of $7.99 and can be purchased nationwide at pharmacies, grocery stores, drug stores, wholesale clubs and mass merchandisers, or online at www.AbbottStore.com.
Ensure nutrition shakes and drinks help to support a variety of nutritional needs including muscle, immune and overall health to help adults stay active and energized. Full nutrition information is available at www.ensure.com.
About Abbott Nutrition
For more than 85 years, Abbott Nutrition has been developing and marketing science-based nutritional products to support the growth, health and wellness of people of all ages. Internationally recognized brands include the Similac® brand of infant formulas; the Gain® brand of growing-up milks; the PediaSure® line of nutritionals for children; and the Ensure® brand of complete and balanced nutrition for adults.
The company is a leader in nutritional products clinically shown to address the distinct dietary needs of people with serious health conditions or special nutrient requirements, such as the Glucerna® brand of nutrition shakes and bars for people with diabetes.
Abbott Nutrition also offers EAS® specialized products to meet the unique nutritional needs of athletes, as well as ZonePerfect® all-natural nutrition bars for busy, active lifestyles. More information about Abbott Nutrition's products is available at www.AbbottNutrition.com.
Abbott is a global, broad-based health care company devoted to the discovery, development, manufacture and marketing of pharmaceuticals and medical products, including nutritionals, devices and diagnostics. The company employs approximately 91,000 people and markets its products in more than 130 countries.
Abbott's news releases and other information are available on the company's web site at www.abbott.com.
- Visit Ensure.com for product information and healthy living tips: http://ensure.com
- Find coupons and promotions at: http://ensure.com/coupons-samples-promotions
- Talk to a nutritionist: http://ensure.com/ask-a-nutritionist
- Choose the right Ensure product for you: http://ensure.com/products
(1) Vitamins A,D,E,K
(2) Protein comparison versus leading apple and orange juices
(3) Moshfegh A et al. 2009. What We Eat in America, NHANES 2005-2006: Usual Nutrient Intakes
(4) Protein comparison versus leading apple and orange juices
(5) Not for individuals with galactosemia