Shire Regenerative Medicine and HealTogether Partner With Celebrity Chef to Raise Awareness of Diabetes and Its Complications
Published: Feb 14, 2013
SAN DIEGO, Feb. 13, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Shire plc (LSE: SHP, NASDAQ: SHPG), the company's Regenerative Medicine business, its community education program HealTogether, and celebrity chef Charles Mattocks announced today the launch of "The Diabetic You" Mobile Tour. The multi-city tour will stop in Tucson, AZ, Phoenix, AZ, San Diego, CA, Los Angeles and Santa Clara, CA, and feature an array of experts traveling in a brightly-colored recreational vehicle (RV) fully equipped for cooking demonstrations and information stations. "The Diabetic You" tour is designed to provide visitors with easy access to resources to help understand the complications of diabetes.
"Being aware of the complications related to diabetes may help prevent or delay serious issues down the road," said Matthew Pauls, Senior Vice President of Global Commercial Operations for Shire Regenerative Medicine, Inc. "By partnering with Charles Mattocks, we are bringing information and access to experts directly to the people who need it most. Our goal is to increase awareness about the management and treatment of these issues."
Pauls continued, "With the right medical care and healthy life choices, people with diabetes and those touched by diabetes can continue to enjoy life to the fullest."
An avid advocate for patients with diabetes, Mattocks began creating 'The Diabetic You,' a documentary and movement focused on educating and inspiring people around the world. Also known as "The Poor Chef", Mattocks is the author of Eat Cheap but Eat Well and is a frequent speaker on the topic of diabetes.
"After I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes, I made it a personal mission to help educate the public about living healthier lives -- starting with healthy eating," said Mattocks. "Together with Shire Regenerative Medicine, I hope to increase awareness not only about the management of diabetes, but stop the ravages of the deadly disease."
"The Diabetic You" Mobile Tour will include a day-long event in each city with fun and interactive activities related to the management and treatment of complications of diabetes, including cooking demonstrations by Mattocks. Leading experts on diabetes will also be onsite to answer questions about potential warning signs for common problems such as high blood pressure, stroke, retinopathy and neuropathy. Additionally, "The Diabetic You" Mobile Tour will be offering visitors a free year-long subscription to Diabetic Living, one of the largest publications in diabetes health.
"The Diabetic You" Mobile Tour's schedule is as follows:
- Saturday, February 23, 2013 Tucson, AZ
- Taking Control of Your Diabetes (TCOYD) Conference, Tucson Convention Center
- Saturday, March 2, 2013 Phoenix, AZ
- Downtown Phoenix Public Market
- Friday, March 8, 2013 San Diego, CA
- Imperial Beach Farmer's Market, Imperial Beach
- Thursday, March 21, 2013 Los Angeles, CA
- Diabetic Foot Global Conference, Loews Hollywood Hotel
- Saturday, March 23, 2013 Santa Clara, CA
- TCOYD Conference, Santa Clara Convention Center
About Charles Mattocks
Since his 2011 diagnosis with type 2 diabetes, "The Poor Chef" Charles Mattocks has become an international advocate for diabetic testing, health, and nutrition. Following early inspiration from his late uncle, Bob Marley, Charles initially pursued an acting career culminating in an Emmy nomination for his performance in "The Summer of Ben Tyler." Following acclaimed acting success, Charles became a regular fixture as a chef on The Today Show, Good Morning America, Martha Stewart, CNN, Dr. Oz, and became the best-selling author of Eat Cheap but Eat Well. Determined to learn, educate, and help others, Charles has since been able to use his celebrity chef status to work with the American Diabetes Association, developing the newest ADA diabetic cookbook and has recently been given the honor of being named a Hero and Blue Circle Champion for the International Diabetes Federation. Ever the champion for diabetic health and education, Charles's passion gave birth to The Diabetic You, a documentary unveiling the influences that have left over 300 Million people worldwide with diabetes.
For further information please contact:
Lindsey Hart (Shire Regenerative Medicine)
+1 615 250 3311
Jennifer Chan (Edelman)
+1 415 229 7650
NOTES TO EDITORS
Shire enables people with life-altering conditions to lead better lives.
Through our deep understanding of patients' needs, we develop and provide healthcare in the areas of:
- Behavioral Health and Gastro Intestinal conditions
- Rare Diseases
- Regenerative Medicine
as well as other symptomatic conditions treated by specialist physicians.
We aspire to imagine and lead the future of healthcare, creating value for patients, physicians, policymakers, payors and our shareholders.
FORWARD - LOOKING STATEMENTS - "SAFE HARBOR" STATEMENT UNDER THE PRIVATE SECURITIES LITIGATION REFORM ACT OF 1995
Statements included in this announcement that are not historical facts are forward-looking statements. Forward-looking statements involve a number of risks and uncertainties and are subject to change at any time. In the event such risks or uncertainties materialize, Shire's results could be materially adversely affected. The risks and uncertainties include, but are not limited to, that:
- Shire's products may not be a commercial success;
- revenues from ADDERALL XR are subject to generic erosion;
- the failure to obtain and maintain reimbursement, or an adequate level of reimbursement, by third-party payors in a timely manner for Shire's products may impact future revenues and earnings;
- Shire relies on a single source for manufacture of certain of its products and a disruption to the supply chain for those products may result in Shire being unable to continue marketing or developing a product or may result in Shire being unable to do so on a commercially viable basis;
- Shire uses third party manufacturers to manufacture many of its products and is reliant upon third party contractors for certain goods and services, and any inability of these third party manufacturers to manufacture products, or any failure of these third party contractors to provide these goods and services, in each case in accordance with its respective contractual obligations, could adversely affect Shire's ability to manage its manufacturing processes or to operate its business;
- the development, approval and manufacturing of Shire's products is subject to extensive oversight by various regulatory agencies and regulatory approvals or interventions associated with changes to manufacturing sites, ingredients or manufacturing processes could lead to significant delays, increase in operating costs, lost product sales, an interruption of research activities or the delay of new product launches;
- the actions of certain customers could affect Shire 's ability to sell or market products profitably and fluctuations in buying or distribution patterns by such customers could adversely impact Shire's revenues, financial conditions or results of operations;
- investigations or enforcement action by regulatory authorities or law enforcement agencies relating to Shire's activities in the highly regulated markets in which it operates may result in the distraction of senior management, significant legal costs and the payment of substantial compensation or fines;
- adverse outcomes in legal matters and other disputes, including Shire's ability to obtain, maintain, enforce and defend patents and other intellectual property rights required for its business, could have a material adverse effect on Shire's revenues, financial condition or results of operations;
and other risks and uncertainties detailed from time to time in Shire's filings with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, including its most recent Annual Report on Form 10-K.
SOURCE Shire Regenerative Medicine