Establishment Labs Announces Leadership For Energy And Environmental Design (LEED) Gold Certification On Its Headquarters In Costa Rica
Published: Aug 10, 2017
NEW YORK, Aug. 10, 2017 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Establishment Labs, a global medical device company focused on aesthetic technologies with a strong emphasis on product development and innovation announced today that it has received U.S. Green Building Council’s (USGBC) Leadership for Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Gold Certification on its new headquarters in Costa Rica.
“This distinction is a great honor for our company and partners worldwide, built on the legacy of Costa Rica as an advocate for the preservation of natural resources," said Juan José Chacón Quirós, founder and CEO of Establishment Labs. “As part of our strategy to bring Motiva Implants® to the U.S. market, we believe patients and doctors alike will appreciate our unique industry goal to meet the highest standards in the world for environmental and medical device regulatory compliance.”
LEED certification, established by U.S. Green Building Council and verified by the Green Building Certification Institute, is the worldwide preeminent program for the design, construction and operation of high performance green buildings. The Manuel E. Chacon B. Center for Advanced Silicone Technologies was unveiled on December 15, 2016 and serves as the headquarters for Establishment Labs. The facility includes state-of-the-art manufacturing facilities, innovation labs and corporate offices. The facility is located in the Coyol Free Zone in Costa Rica, one of the largest and most modern high-tech business parks in Central America, hosting medical device companies including Abbott, Medtronic, Philips, Smith & Nephew, and Cooper Vision, among others.
“LEED certification is another significant milestone in establishing operations that meet the highest standards for state-of-the-art, efficient, and sustainable infrastructure,” said Salvador Dada, Chief Operating Officer. “As a global medical technology company, making a positive impact on humanity with our environmental initiatives is at the core of our company values. We are pleased with this important validation as we pursue opportunities to adopt green solutions and strive to manufacture the highest quality aesthetic products for patients.”
The project used advanced energy modeling during the design. Some of the highlights of this LEED-Gold Certified facility include:
- Ice Bank system for cooling the controlled air in the clean room and support areas instead of traditional energy-powered chillers.
- Energy micro-grid comprised of solar panels and energy-storage batteries that generates up to 80% of the total energy consumption of the building, including manufacturing areas, allowing for efficiently more air exchanges in the clean rooms for less particulates in the production areas.
- The Chilled-Beams system for soft cooling administrative areas -instead of traditional air conditioning systems- reduce at least 30% of energy consumption and eliminate the use of refrigerants.
- Efficient lightning, movement sensors and Energy-Star appliances and equipment in all administrative areas to reduce 50% of energy consumption compared to traditional designs.
- Oil-less air compressors for cleaner air throughout the facility.
- Rain-water recovery systems for the irrigation systems and toilets.
- Water efficient systems for administrative areas to reduce 49% of water consumption in comparison with traditional designs.
- Non-volatile organic compound (VOC) paints, coatings, adhesives and other external materials that reduce CO2 emissions and heat.
- Local materials used for energy saving during the construction process.
- 57% of construction waste materials were recycled instead of sending to landfills areas.
- Native plantings in the landscaped areas reduce fertilization and water usage.
- Preferred parking for low emitting (hybrid) and fuel efficient vehicles and carpooling.
About Establishment Labs
Establishment Labs is a global, privately held, medical technology company with a strong emphasis on innovation that designs, develops, manufactures and markets an innovative product portfolio. Its CE-marked Motiva Implants® line of silicone breast implants (http://www.motivaimplants.com) utilizes ultra-high purity medical-grade silicone and is subject to the strictest quality assurance testing throughout the manufacturing process. Motiva Implants are sold in more than 60 countries worldwide. Puregraft®'s FDA cleared and CE-Marked technology provides plastic surgeons with purified fat for reinjection on the sterile field and is used in hospitals and clinics around the world. Divina® is a proprietary 3D imaging technology for full integration in consultation and surgical planning of unique solutions for breast aesthetics and reconstruction. All manufacturing facilities are fully compliant with both FDA and ISO applicable standards.
Motiva Implants and Divina are registered trademarks of Establishment Labs.
Contact Lynn Pieper Lewis or Leigh Salvo Gilmartin Group (415) 937-5404 firstname.lastname@example.org