Help employers find you! Check out all the
NEW YORK, July 31, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- The Galien Foundation today announced the 2014 nominees for the eighth annual Prix Galien USA Awards. The Prix Galien Award is considered the biomedical industry's highest accolade and recognizes the technical, scientific and clinical research skills necessary to develop innovative medicines and devices.
This year brings the highest number of nominees since the inception of the Prix Galien USA. Nominees include biomedical products across three categories biotechnology, pharmaceutical, and technology products that advance the human condition and which were approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) during the past five years.
Nominees for the Prix Galien USA 2014 Awards are:
Best Biotechnology Product (Nominees)
for Chronic Migraine patients
BTG International Inc.
Erwinaze® (asparaginase Erwinia chrysanthemi)
(influenza vaccine live, intranasal)
HEMACORD (HPC, Cord Blood)
New York Blood Center's
Howard P. Milstein Cord Blood Center
Flucelvax® (Influenza Virus Vaccine)
Best Pharmaceutical Agent (Nominees)
Actelion Pharmaceuticals Ltd
(dexamethasone intravitreal implant) 0.7 mg
BELIVIQ® (lorcaserin HCl) CIV
Arena Pharmaceuticals, Inc. & Eisai Inc.
Tecfidera® (dimethyl fumarate)
Janssen & Pharmacyclics
Janssen & Bayer HealthCare
Zytiga® (abiraterone acetate)
Medivation & Astellas
Bristol-Myers Squibb & Pfizer
(reformulated oxycodone HCl controlled release)
Latuda® (lurasidone HCI)
Sunovion Pharmaceuticals Inc.
Neupro® (Rotigotine Transdermal System)
Best Medical Technology (Nominees)
SERI® Surgical Scaffold
VITEK® MS Platform
(ipratropium bromide and albuterol)
The Alair Bronchial Thermoplasty System
Precision Spectra Spinal Cord
superDimension Navigation System
Covidien Interventional Lung Solutions
Mobi-C® Cervical Disc
LDR Holding Corporation
coflex® Interlaminar Stabilization device
Paradigm Spine, LLC
Elecsys® Testosterone II
Auvi-Q® (epinephrine injection, USP)
Trevo® ProVue Retriever
CentraSight® Implantable Telescope Technology
VisionCare Ophthalmic Technologies
"Biomedical research can only exist when there are those who are willing to push innovation, extract understanding, and bring attention to the details," remarked Bruno Cohen, Chairman of the Galien Foundation. "This year's nominees are catalysts for the development of disease-altering advances through biopharmaceutical and medical technology innovation. It is upon these values that the Galien Foundation is predicated, and we're proud to honor those in the field who exemplify these same principles."
The Prix Galien USA Committee, comprised of 10 renowned leaders from the biomedical industry and academia, including five Nobel Laureates, is responsible for evaluating nominees. Winners will be honored at the Prix Galien USA Awards Ceremony on October 28, 2014 at 6:30 p.m., at the American Museum of Natural History in New York City. Registration for the 2014 Prix Galien USA Awards Ceremony is open and can be accessed here.
Galien Awards Committee 2014
- Pr Richard Axel, M.D., Nobel Laureate, Co-Director, the Kavli Institute for Brain Science, Columbia University Medical Center, New York.
- Pr Michael S. Brown, M.D., Nobel Laureate, Professor of Molecular Genetics and Internal Medicine, UT Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas.
- Pr Laurie Glimcher, M.D., Dean of Weill Cornell Medical College and Provost for Medical Affairs, Cornell University, New York.
- Pr Joseph Goldstein, M.D., Nobel Laureate, Professor of Molecular Genetics and Internal Medicine, UT, Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas.
- Pr Robert S. Langer, M.D., David H. Koch Institute Professor at MIT.
- Pr Paul A. Marks, M.D., Laboratory Head of Cell Biology Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, New York. President, Emeritus, MSKCC.
- Pr Bengt Samuelsson, M.D., Ph.D., Nobel Laureate, Former President of Karolinska Institute and Former Chairman of the Nobel Foundation.
- Pr Marc Tessier-Lavigne, Ph.D., President and Professor Laboratory of Brain Development and Repair, The Rockefeller University, New York.
- Pr Roy Vagelos, M.D., Chairman. Chairman of Regeneron Pharmaceuticals and Retired Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Merck & Co., Inc.
- Pr Elie Wiesel, Peace Nobel Laureate, Boston University Professor Emeritus. Honorary Member.
About the Galien Foundation
The Galien Foundation fosters, recognizes and rewards excellence in scientific innovation to improve the state of human health. Our vision is to be the catalyst for the development of the next generation of innovative treatment and technologies that will impact human health and save lives.
The Foundation oversees and directs activities in the USA for the Prix Galien, an international award that recognizes outstanding achievements in improving the human condition through the development of innovative therapies. The Prix Galien was created in France in 1970 in honor of Galen, the father of medical science and modern pharmacology. Worldwide, the Prix Galien is regarded as the equivalent of the Nobel Prize in biopharmaceutical and medical technology research.
For more information visit www.galienfoundation.org.
Logo - http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20140730/131746
Galien Foundation Media Contact:
Makovsky on behalf of The Galien Foundation
SOURCE Galien Foundation