Help employers find you! Check out all the
ST. LOUIS, July 17, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Centene Corporation (NYSE: CNC) announced today that it is a gold level sponsor of the National Council of La Raza Conference (NCLR), the largest national Hispanic civil rights and advocacy organization in the United States. The organization is holding its Annual Conference this weekend, July 19-22, at the Los Angeles Convention Center. Simultaneously, NCLR will also host the National Latino Family Expo, a free event that is expected to attract over 50,000 people and is open to the public on Saturday, Sunday, and Monday.
"Centene's sponsorship and participation in this event is part of our continued dedication to addressing the whole health of the individuals we serve," said Dr. Mary Mason, Senior Vice President, Chief Medical Officer of Centene. "The National Council of La Raza is an organization with a rich history, and one that aligns with Centene's purpose of transforming the health of the community, one person at a time. We are honored to participate in its annual conference."
Centene and its subsidiaries, California Health & Wellness, Cenpatico and OptiCare Managed Vision, will host a series of events to address health and social barriers that impact the Hispanic population. In addition, to spotlight a growing epidemic with significant health impacts, Cenpatico, Centene's behavioral health specialty company, will hold anti-bullying education sessions.
"We are working on multiple fronts to address the critical problem of bullying and its impact on children and youth," said Sam Donaldson, Cenpatico's CEO and President. "Kids who act out and bully others are many times victims themselves. Parents, teachers, counselors all of us need to be aware and intervene when bullying occurs and then address the issues that face the bully as well as the kids being bullied."
The full list of Centene-hosted events at the Conference and Expo includes:
- At the Health Pavilion, OptiCare will provide free vision screenings to attendees, as well as full vision exams to those who do not pass the screenings. In addition, OptiCare will offer free prescription eyewear for children in need of glasses and give away free reading glasses for adults.
- At the Community Pavilion, Centene, California Health & Wellness and Cenpatico will host a series of events aimed at putting a stop to bullying through education and empowerment. As part of a year-long anti-bullying initiative, Centene and Cenpatico co-authored a children's book with award-winning author Michelle Bain to educate students, teachers and parents across the country about the impact of bullying. Ms. Bain will lead the rally and distribute over 3,500 copies of the book and parent guide.
- Cenpatico will offer anti-bullying education sessions in both English and Spanish.
- NFL Hall of Famer Darrell Green will speak to teens about the importance of self-confidence and self-respect; and Marcus Canty, best known for his time on X-Factor, will provide live entertainment and be available for autographs and photos with attendees.
- On Sunday, Centene will sponsor the Helen Rodriguez Trias Health Award Reception. California Health & Wellness President and CEO, Greg Buchert, will give opening remarks.
- On Tuesday, Centene will co-sponsor the Health Town Hall, "After Health Care Reform: The Remaining Uninsured."
About Centene Corporation
Centene Corporation, a Fortune 500 company, is a leading multi-line healthcare enterprise that provides programs and services to government sponsored healthcare programs, focusing on under-insured and uninsured individuals. Many receive benefits provided under Medicaid, including the State Children's Health Insurance Program (CHIP), as well as Aged, Blind or Disabled (ABD), Foster Care and Long Term Care (LTC), in addition to other state-sponsored/hybrid programs, and Medicare (Special Needs Plans). The Company operates local health plans and offers a range of health insurance solutions. It also contracts with other healthcare and commercial organizations to provide specialty services including behavioral health, care management software, correctional systems healthcare, in-home health services, life and health management, managed vision, pharmacy benefits management, specialty pharmacy and telehealth services.
About California Health & Wellness
California Health & Wellness is a Medi-Cal plan and wholly-owned subsidiary of Centene Corporation, a national leader in healthcare services. Our commitment is to positively transform the communities in which we live, work and serve through improved access to quality healthcare and support services. For more information, please visit us at www.CAHealthWellness.com.
Cenpatico's expertise lies in managing benefits for vulnerable populations. Our healthcare specialties include behavioral health, foster care, school-based services, specialty therapy and rehabilitation and more. We have managed Medicaid and other public sector benefits since 1994; currently, we serve nearly 3 million members nationally. Our headquarters are in Austin, Texas and we have local teams across the country in the markets we serve. Cenpatico is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Centene Corporation. We are committed to innovative solutions and designing programs tailored to improving functional outcomes with our members. Find us online at www.cenpatico.com.
About OptiCare Managed Vision
OptiCare has over 25 years of experience providing comprehensive and affordable eye care services. We serve over 4 million members across the country with our panel of over 20,000 eye care providers. From our innovative HEDIS services that help clients effectively manage clinical risk and gain control of high-cost diseases, to our accelerated, enhanced quality eyewear delivery, OptiCare puts the "care" back in your eye care program.
Founded by eye care professionals, OptiCare has become a nationally respected provider of fully integrated, risk based eye care programs. Continuous quality improvement across the full spectrum of administrative functions has propelled OptiCare into a class by itself as a premiere eye care plan administrator.
SOURCE Centene Corporation