, June 4, 2014
/PRNewswire/ -- Biocom, the association for the Southern California
life science community, and the San Diego
International Airport Art Program announce the return of the cell culture exhibit, a showcase of art from microscopic research contributing to life-changing breakthroughs taking place in the Southern California
The "Taking Art to the Cellular Level" exhibit is part of Converg(Ing)genuities, a collective exhibition inspired by the creative intersection of art, science, and technology. Twelve different artists and organizations were selected based on their creativity, unique use of media and relevance to the theme. The exhibition is intended to create an imaginative and interactive experience for airport passengers.
The exhibit, on display starting today in Terminal 2 of the newly-expanded airport, was made possible by academic and research institutions in the San Diego region, including:
- Department of Bioengineering, Department of Ophthalmology, Institute of Engineering and medicine, University of California San Diego and Nanovision Biosciences, Inc.
- LA BioMed
- Laboratory of Molecular Engineering for Cellular Imaging and Reprogramming, Department of Bioengineering, University of California, San Diego
- Lowy Medical Research Institute in collaboration with The Scripps Research Institute
- Molecular Graphics Laboratory (Olson Lab), The Scripps Research Institute
- National Center for Microscopy and Imaging Research (NCMIR) UCSD
- Point Loma Nazarene University
- Salk Institute
- Sanford-Burnham Medical Research Institute
- School of Medicine, University of California, San Diego
- The Salk Institute for Biological Studies, for the California Institute for Regenerative Medicine
- Thermo Fisher Scientific
"Much of the innovation being conducted in the region takes place behind closed doors," said Joe Panetta, president and CEO of Biocom. "The airport's art program enables researchers from our prestigious institutions to give the public a visual spectacle of their labors as they work towards biomedical breakthroughs that impact the health and lives of our people, our ecosystem and our future."
The 20-piece exhibit will be on display until the end of the year.
"We're pleased to welcome this beautiful and educational new exhibit from Biocom to San Diego International Airport," said Thella F. Bowens, President/CEO of the San Diego County Regional Airport Authority. "It isn't easy to bring the mysteries and wonders of science to life, but I think this exhibit succeeds in drawing travelers in for a moment of wonderment and learning."
Find out more about the cell culture exhibit here: http://ilusart.com/sdairportart/
Biocom is one of the largest regional life science associations in the world, representing more than 600 member companies in Southern California. The association focuses on initiatives that position the region's life science industry competitively on the world stage, and on the development and delivery of innovative products that improve health and quality of life. For more information on BIOCOM or the Southern California biotechnology and medical device community, please visit the organization's Web site at http://www.biocom.org or call (858) 455-0300.
Logo - http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20130228/LA69104LOGO