SOUTH SAN FRANCISCO, Calif., April 1, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Calithera Biosciences, a biotechnology company focused on the development of novel cancer therapeutics, today announced the presentation of data for its lead clinical candidate, CB-839, at the American Association for Cancer Research (AACR) Annual Meeting 2014, to be held in San Diego, CA, April 5-9, 2014. CB-839 is a potent and selective orally bioavailable glutaminase inhibitor that blocks the growth and survival of many different types of cancer cells by interfering with their metabolism of glutamine.
During a minisymposium session on cancer metabolism, Calithera will report on the development of novel pharmacodynamic assays that will be applied to the company's clinical studies to measure glutaminase inhibition in patients following administration of CB-839. Calithera researchers will also present preclinical data in a poster detailing CB-839's antiproliferative activity in a range of solid and hematologic tumor types:
- Novel pharmacodynamic assays to measure glutaminase inhibition following oral administration of CB-839 (Abstract #966)
- Minisymposium: Cancer Metabolism: New Pathways and Progress Toward Therapy
- Sunday, Apr 06, 2014, 4:35 PM - 4:50 PM
- Location: Room 6CF, San Diego Convention Center
- CB-839, a novel potent and selective glutaminase inhibitor, has broad antiproliferative activity in cell lines derived from both solid tumors and hematological malignancies (Abstract # 1416)
- Poster Session: Metabolic Pathways 1
- Monday, Apr 07, 2014, 8:00 AM -12:00 PM
- Location: Hall A-E, Poster Section 18
About Calithera Biosciences
Calithera Biosciences, Inc. is a clinical-stage company focused on the discovery, development and commercialization of first-in-class small molecule oncology therapeutics. The company is building a pipeline of targeted anti-cancer compounds that inhibit pathways critical to tumor growth and survival. Calithera's lead clinical candidate, CB-839, blocks glutaminase, an enzyme critical to tumor metabolism, and is currently being tested in patients with advanced solid and hematological cancers. Calithera Biosciences is headquartered in South San Francisco. For more information about Calithera Biosciences, please visit www.calithera.com.
SOURCE Calithera Biosciences