MONTREAL, QC--(Marketwired - January 21, 2014) - Sunshine Biopharma Inc. (OTCQB: SBFM), a pharmaceutical company focused on the research, development and commercialization of drugs for the treatment of various forms of cancer, today announced that it is now targeting pancreatic cancer as a second indication for Adva-27a, the Company's flagship anticancer drug candidate. As previously announced (see press release dated June 4, 2013), Adva-27a, a Topoisomerase II inhibitor, was found to be effective at destroying cells of the very aggressive pancreatic cancer cell line, Panc-1. Adva-27a was able to kill these cells with an IC50 of approximately 4 micromolar, a pharmacologically very favorable drug concentration. Based on initial data, the Company is moving forward with intentions to conduct a Phase I clinical trial of Adva-27a for pancreatic cancer in parallel to the planned Phase I clinical trial of Adva-27a for breast cancer that is scheduled to be hosted at McGill University's Jewish General Hospital in Montreal.
"As we work towards completing the process of re-domiciling the Company to Canada and conducting the requisite IND-enabling toxicology studies of Adva-27a, we are now proceeding with additional research centered on pancreatic cancer as a second indication," said Dr. Steve N. Slilaty, Chief Executive Officer of Sunshine Biopharma. "Pancreatic cancer represents an area of tremendous unmet medical need and significant market opportunity. Our research to date indicates that Adva-27a has the potential to become a new therapy option for patients suffering this deadly form of cancer."
About Pancreatic Cancer
Pancreatic cancer has an extremely poor prognosis. Most pancreatic cancer patients will die within one year of diagnosis. Cancer of the pancreas is the fourth most common cause of cancer-related deaths in the United States. According to the American Cancer Society, an estimated 45,220 new cases of pancreatic cancer will be diagnosed in the U.S. in 2013. Approximately 95% of pancreatic tumors are of the adenocarcinoma type, arising within the exocrine component of the pancreas where various digestive enzymes are produced. The remaining 5% arise from the islet cells and are classified as neuroendocrine tumors. The islet cells produce important hormones such as insulin, which regulates the sugar levels in the blood. Both types are very aggressive and respond poorly to standard chemotherapy drugs. In contrast to the downward trend in death rates for most major cancer types, death rates due to pancreatic cancer have been slowly increasing in the U.S. over the past decade. This, together with the lack effective therapy, underscores the need for major new drug development efforts to reverse these trends.
Adva-27a is Sunshine Biopharma's lead anticancer compound, a small molecule that has recently been shown to be effective at killing multidrug resistant breast cancer cells, small-cell lung cancer cells, uterine sarcoma cells and pancreatic cancer cells (Published in ANTICANCER RESEARCH, Volume 32, Pages 4423-4432, October 2012). Adva-27a is currently in the IND-Enabling stage of development. The original U.S. patent covering Adva-27a was issued on August 7, 2012 under U.S. patent number 8,236,935.
About Sunshine Biopharma Inc.
Sunshine Biopharma is an early stage pharmaceutical company focused on the research, development and commercialization of drugs for the treatment of various forms of cancer. Sunshine Biopharma recently announced that it has initiated IND-Enabling studies for its lead antitumor compound, Adva-27a, which is currently targeted for multidrug resistant cancer.
Safe Harbor Forward-Looking Statements
To the extent that statements in this press release are not strictly historical, including statements as to revenue projections, business strategy, outlook, objectives, future milestones, plans, intentions, goals, future financial conditions, future collaboration agreements, the success of the Company's development, events conditioned on stockholder or other approval, or otherwise as to future events, such statements are forward-looking, and are made pursuant to the safe harbor provisions of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. The forward-looking statements contained in this release are subject to certain risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results to differ materially from the statements made.