SciWorks Announces New Board Appointments for 2013 - 2014
8/22/2013 10:26:09 AM
Get the latest biotech news where you want it. Sign up for the free GenePool newsletter today!
WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. (August 22, 2013) — SciWorks, the non-profit science center and environmental park in Winston-Salem, is proud to announce the appointment of nine new members to the SciWorks Board of Directors.
“As SciWorks continues to grow as the institution that helps children and their families understand, and develop the skills of, innovation for the future, we are very excited about these new members and what they will bring to our Board,” says Paul Kortenaar, Executive Director. “Each member has a unique skill set that will help us connect the scientific community with the public and contextualize science for the community.”
The new board members joining SciWorks in 2013 are:
- Anthony Atala, M.D., Director of the Wake Forest Institute for Regenerative Medicine, and W.H. Boyce Professor and Chair of the Department of Urology at Wake Forest School of Medicine.
- Heather Bumgarner, Human Resources Consultant with Piedmont Development Partners, a human resources company in Winston-Salem.
- James Dickerson, PhD, retired RJR R&D Manager and high school/collegiate science teacher with extensive volunteering experience, including serving as a past SciWorks' board member.
- Carolyn Sherrill Fuller, Manager, Annual Giving at Old Salem Museum and Gardens, with extensive board and volunteer experience in Winston-Salem.
- John Millard, Business Relations Executive for Duke Energy
- Margaret Pike, J.D., attorney and small business owner with extensive board experience in Winston-Salem.
- Alexander Powers, M.D., Assistant Professor, Neurosurgery, at Wake Forest Baptist Health, with volunteer experience as a physician in free clinics and as a coach in youth sports.
- Eric Tomlinson, DSc, PhD, President of the Wake Forest Innovation Quarter and Chief Innovation Officer for Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center.
- Meredith Welch, biology teacher and student advisor at Summit School with extensive volunteer experience in Winston-Salem.
Serving as officers for 2013-2014 are:
- Chair: Michael A. Myers, J.D., Attorney, Bell Davis & Pitt, P.A.
- Vice Chair: Patricia A. Shugart, MT., MBA, Chief Operating Officer of Carolina Liquid Chemistries Corp.
- Treasurer: Michael Lischke, Ed.D., M.P.H., Associate Dean Continuing Medical Education and Northwest Area Health Education Center/Wake Forest School of Medicine
- Secretary: Shandra N. Stout, J.D., Attorney, Womble Carlyle, Sandridge & Rice, LLP
“The Board at SciWorks has always been enthusiastic and active in its support of this organization,” says Michael Myers, SciWorks’ Board Chair. “I believe the addition of these nine new Board members and the induction of this year’s class of officers demonstrates Winston-Salem/Forsyth County’s continued and longstanding support for this institution. We are excited about the future and how we can continue SciWorks’ great tradition and legacy for our community.”
SciWorks is a 501(c)3 corporation that promotes literacy, lifelong learning and an appreciation of the sciences through innovative educational and recreational experiences. For more information, visit http://www.sciworks.org.
Help employers find you! Check out all the jobs and post your resume.